Committed to client advocacy on diverse issues relating to fundamental human rights and due process of law. Provides top-notch and professional legal services to Clients. Interacts professionally with staff. Is responsible for following and abiding by the Firm’s billing policies and procedures. Participates in and adds to Firm meetings and substantive discussions. Performs crucial legal tasks, works on Client cases and provides Clients with authoritative answers and timely and professionally responds to both Client and supervisor inquiries.
Reviews the work of paralegals, trains paralegals with the goal of ensuring high quality, efficient management of all aspects of International Human Rights and Immigration Litigation files to include overseeing deadlines and expiration dates, reviewing incoming documents, and handling/ escalating potential issues.
- Synthesizing legal research and analysis into written memoranda or briefs, preparing court filings, appearing in court and before various agencies, and performing case work as assigned;
- Analyzing and summarizing legal documents;
- Identifying potential issues and developing strategies to address them;
- Researching, analyzing and staying up-to-date on relevant areas of the law and current events. Can speak with authority and professionalism about diverse aspects of immigration law, or research those diverse aspects as needed in order to produce Client focused results.
- Professionally and authoritatively, articulate legal strategies to clients and answer client questions. Contribute to team meetings and discussions.
- Conducting/ participating in client meetings and calls;
- Preparing applications for international human rights remedies and immigration benefits;
- Responding to client inquiries;
- Responsible for “touching” each case on docket every week (by maintaining active case list) and following up with client or supervisor weekly or as appropriate.
- Delegating work as appropriate to paralegals;
- Provide training, ongoing feedback and instruction to paralegals;
- Training paralegals in organizing material for attorney teleconferences;
- Ensuring that paralegals draft, organize, and file documentation in a thorough and timely manner.
Firm Development and Marketing
- Engage in select activities, on a consistent basis, to promote the reputation of the law firm in our community.
- Seek out and engage in speaking and publishing opportunities to include contributing to the firm newsletter.
Key Measures for Success:
- Meets 100% hard (government) deadlines.
- Achieves a minimum of 120 legal service hours per month.
- No quality errors that cause financial harm to the client or the firm or timing delays to the client. Ensures that all filings contain complete documents; No filings sent to wrong location or with wrong filing fee.
- Receives positive feedback and no negative feedback from clients and co-workers.
- Maintains a positive attitude during change and unexpected circumstances.
- Follows objectives laid out in individualized marketing plan. Works to promote the Firm and themselves through marketing and networking efforts.
- Exemplifies behaviors that support the Firm values: Communication, Courage/Innovation, Honesty/Integrity, Teamwork, Balance, Respect, Success/Achievement.
- Spanish language skills preferred
- Proven superior research and writing ability
- Precise attention to detail
- Ability to exercise some independent judgment and decision-making
- Ability to work with paralegals, ensure timely completion of goals, and review paralegal work
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Ability to work well with clients and others
- Ability to use forms databases and other computer programs
- 2-3 years’ experience in international and/or immigration law required
- Foreign language skills, especially Spanish, strongly preferred.
- 40+ hours per week
- Domestic and International travel may be required
- Work is completed both in the office and remotely