We are a growing technology startup company based in Mesa, Arizona (greater Phoenix area) that offer its employees a dynamic entrepreneurial environment, the opportunity to participate in the explosive growth of EV battery markets and exposure to the largest automakers and battery OEMs in the world.
The Company: Urbix, Inc. is a US-based developer of graphite processing technology. Our proprietary technology utilizes a sustainable, environmentally friendly approach for the production of key anode materials for lithium-ion batteries in electric vehicles (EVs).
- We aim to be the leader in the rapidly growing domestic market for graphite anode material to be used in a variety of applications including EVs, military systems and other industrial electrification applications.
- The Company operates facilities in Mesa, AZ and Research Triangle Park, NC with more than 55 employees.
- The Mesa facility is focused on continued pilot operations for sample production and completing the Company's commercial demonstration module along with a state-of-the-art battery testing laboratory and quality control capabilities. The Research Triangle Park facility is focused on process optimization using artificial intelligence and machine learning techniques in addition to conducting R&D on innovative battery systems and advanced processing technologies.
We are seeking an experienced Intellectual Property Counsel to join our legal team.
- Juris Doctorate (JD) from accredited law school, or foreign equivalent
- Admitted to practice in at least one US jurisdiction
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
- 5+ years of legal experience in law firm and/or in-house legal departments with a focus in patent portfolio development and management in the US and foreign jurisdictions
- Regarded as the technical expert in their particular field
Additional skills and experience that we think would make someone successful in this role (not required):
- B.S. in Chemistry, Engineering, Physics, Materials Science or similar disciplines
- Foreign language skills helpful, particularly Korean or Japanese
- Counsel management and technologists of client business groups on IP matters involving patents, trade secrets and trademarks
- Actively develop and manage a global patent portfolio (including patent budget management) to protect key differentiating aspects of Urbix technologies
- Collaborate with R&D and engineering staff to identify inventions, prepare invention disclosures and draft patent applications
- Manage outside counsel as needed for special patent filing and prosecution, improving quality, scope and breadth of patent applications & claims, and tracking patent budget and spending
- Draft, review and negotiate general business and intellectual property related agreements and terms and conditions, including contract and subcontract terms and conditions, university agreements, non-disclosure agreements, joint development agreements, and technology licenses
- Analyze IP landscapes, perform IP risk assessments and develop IP sustainability strategies
- Manage trademark matters
- Develop programs to protect IP and accomplish business goals including providing training to management and engineering teams
- Conduct company-wide training on IP portfolio topics
The Location: Based on the candidate, this can be a hybrid role that is based out of our Mesa facility or Research Triangle Park facility or remote role with travel to and from our Mesa facility and Research Triangle Park facility