We are not just offering a job but a meaningful career! Come join our passionate team!
As a Fortune 50 company, we hire the best employees to serve our customers, making us a leader in the insurance and financial services industry. State Farm embraces diversity and inclusion to ensure a workforce that is engaged, builds on the strengths and talents of all associates, and creates a Good Neighbor culture.
We offer competitive benefits and pay with the potential for an annual financial award based on both individual and enterprise performance. Our employees have an opportunity to participate in volunteer events within the community and engage in a learning culture. We offer programs to assist with tuition reimbursement, professional designations, employee development, wellness initiatives, and more!
Visit our Careers page for more information on our benefits, locations and the process of joining the State Farm team!
State Farm Mutual is offering an opportunity to join our Life/Health/Investment Planning Services Unit within our Corporate Law Department located in Bloomington, IL. Our Law Department employees are challenged, guided, and empowered. As a community, we help one another grow professionally and personally. It's part of who we are and have been since 1922. The position is located in Bloomington, IL, at State Farm's corporate headquarters and is classified as a hybrid role, meaning that the work arrangement calls for hours in the office and virtually. Everyone in a hybrid role is required to spend time in the office. Work arrangements could change over time based on business needs.
The Counsel position within the Life/Health/Investment Planning Services Unit provides legal advice on the development and offering of a variety of life insurance and financial services products. Counsel provides regulatory and operational legal advice on life insurance, annuities, including variable insurance products, disability income insurance, long-term care insurance, and health insurance. Depending on background and experience, Counsel may also advise on broker-dealer law and the Investment Advisors Act of 1940. Counsel in this unit also supervise related litigation and represent the organization on regulatory matters in front of various governmental agencies. In part, the lawyer selected will:
- Provide legal advice to appropriate representatives of the State Farm companies
- Provide legal services on behalf of the State Farm companies
- Analyze legal problems and interpret laws and regulations
- Possess knowledge of company structure and general departments
- Display advanced knowledge of legal principles and practices related to the subject matter of the
- attorney's area of practice and/or leadership management skills
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively collaborate and communicate on complex legal issues
- Anticipate and respond effectively to client's needs and actively assist clients by practicing preventative law
- Demonstrate the ability to be creative in approaching legal matters
- Act as an established resource for the organization on complex issues
- Must have a law degree from an ABA accredited law school and excellent academic credentials
- Must have active license to practice law in at least one state and be a member in good standing of the bar and the ability to gain admission by reciprocity as a Corporate Counsel in Illinois
- 10+ years of In-House Insurance related experience advising life insurance companies, broker-dealer, or investment advisors
- A proactive and preventative lawyering mindset
- Commitment to providing quality legal advice
- Learning agility, including demonstrated willingness to develop expertise in new subject matter areas
- An ability to collaborate with a diverse group of internal and external stakeholders to deal with complex issues in a challenging environment
- Applicants are required to be eligible to lawfully work in the U.S. immediately; employer will not sponsor applicants for U.S. work opportunity