Description:We are currently seeking full time immigration attorney for our legal immigration services. The attorney will provide support for the center in the area of legal representation, consultation and educational services. Attorneys will work on substantive matters in all stages of immigration for members of the Nigerian and Africa-wide immigrant communities. This will include non-immigration cases, status adjustment, temporary protective status, and naturalization.
Role and Duties:
- Represent clients in Immigration Court
- Manage cases from the initial non-immigrant stage through permanent residence and naturalization.
- Research and draft motions, applications for relief, and briefs for submission to Immigration Court and appellate bodies/courts
- Conduct periodic know your right immigration workshops
- Prepare affirmative applications for relief to submit to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and appellate bodies (ex. Administrative Appeals Office);
- Engage in client interviews, meetings, and consultations;
- Communicate with clients, lay/expert witnesses, government attorneys, deportation officers, and court staff;
- Coordinate all aspects of a client's case, including client communication, relevant research, translation, drafting personal statements, preparing immigration forms, writing memos and briefs, drafting court motions and orders, and advocacy with law enforcement and other agencies; and
- Other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Juris Doctor Degree
- One to three years of immigration law practice
- Member in good standing of the Bar of the highest court in any State or the District of Columbia
- In-depth knowledge of immigration law
- Strong interest in immigrant rights and communities
- Familiarity with Nigerian, West African or African cultures
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- To apply please include a resume and cover letter.