Description:Here at Crisp, we value the strength in teamwork, and strongly believe that it's the key to Crisp's success. By bringing together bright, motivated creators, wherever they live or work, we are leveraging humanity's diversity of experience and background in order to understand the challenges facing our food supply, and solve them together. Come join us, and help build the type of business you'd like to be a part of.
We are a socially conscious, distributed team. We give you the opportunity to solve challenges in the global food industry while living where you're most comfortable and working in areas where you can help foster and grow the community that you are a part of.
We believe in transparency, diversity, merit and fostering a culture of empowerment, personal impact and career growth. We are looking for our first in-house legal hire in the form of a Director of Legal. As Director of Legal, you will report to and work directly with our SVP of Finance to own and execute all legal functions for Crisp.
This is an evolving role with continuous opportunity for growth. Whether you are coming from a startup or corporate background, a successful candidate will appreciate how much of an outsized impact they can make at a smaller organization and will relish the ability to shape their own role and the future of the company.
Signs of a great candidate for Crisp:
- Collaborative. You know that your colleagues' perspectives will make our customers successful. Similarly, you use your strengths to help us grow together. You propose ways for us to be more engaged and successful with our customers.
- Customer focused. Our customers are at the forefront of your day. You prioritize our customers' voices to ensure their needs are met.
- Ambitious, curious, and resourceful. You are innately curious, and you aren't afraid to work hard. You are self driven, you take direction well but are able to be creative to find results on your own when asked. You are driven to succeed because your hard work and results make you proud.
- Disciplined and reliable. We are a distributed company and you enjoy the benefits of working distributed while consistently delivering what you have committed to. When you hit a snag, you communicate and reset expectations early.
- Appreciative of honest feedback. You know that the best way to learn and grow is through constructive feedback delivered kindly. You view feedback given to you as an opportunity to get better and strive to do the same for others.
- Work smarter and harder. You often identify a problem, create a solution and bring it to a state of completion - with others, or even on your own. You find ways of eliminating or automating stuff that is uninteresting or wasteful.
Crisp's Director of Legal will...
- Own the overall legal function with a primary focus on drafting and executing commercial contracts and agreements, while also owning and coordinating all other corporate legal activities that support employment, compliance, registrations and filings, the board of directors, and shareholders.
- Develop policies and processes that organize all company legal activities, and appropriately balance supporting rapid business growth against minimizing risks.
- Enable commercial success by playing a critical role in our go to market strategy and partnering with the sales teams to reduce legal hurdles to close business.
- Collaborate with company leadership and business leads to understand business goals, translate legal risks to easy to understand concepts, and establish full alignment around legal processes and procedures that support growth.
- Possess a strong working knowledge of SaaS license agreements in order to effectively draft agreements that cover our business objectives while also minimizing risks.
- Continually improve Crisp's Legal operations to support new customer agreements, products and services, pricing, markets, and business risks as the company scales.
- Partner with our external legal counsel as needed to solve technical legal issues and manage the relationship.
- Lead the creation, documentation and implementation of legal policies for the company.
- Own the legal technology stack and continually look to improve it as needed to meet the changing needs of our growing, international SaaS business.
- Deliver ad hoc reporting and projects that support the company's growth and objectives.
A great candidate will have…
- JD degree and membership to at least one US state bar.
- Experience drafting and executing license agreements for a SaaS startup.
- Systems experience using Salesforce, Carta, PandaDoc, DocuSign (or another contract management platform) and G Suite.
- Strong project management skills including an ability to multitask, prioritize and respond quickly within a rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to translate business objectives and goals into legal concepts that allow them to be incorporated into commercial agreements.
- Potential to manage and build a team as Crisp grows.
We are building a team of expert operators with a breadth of combined experiences so that we can collaboratively enable our customers to be successful. There are no hard requirements for this role based on specific background, experience or geographical location. Instead we're looking for individuals that are capable, reliable, and hoping to grow along with us. Do you have strengths you can share? If so, we'd love to hear from you!