Closing Date: 26th January, 2024
The incumbent serves as the General Counsel and provides legal counsel, policy drafting, and services to the Commissioners, Executive Director and other Agency leadership and is responsible for dispensing legal advice on a myriad of issues involving, among other things, HAVA interpretation, litigation, legislation, procurement, appropriations, grant law, employment law, records management, FACA, FOIA, APA, sunshine act, ethics, federal compliance, and financial law.
The General Counsel drafts policy and procedures for recommendation to the Commission. The incumbent is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Office of General Counsel and all agency legal matters.
- Directs, plans, and executes oversight of the day-to-day operations of the Office of General Counsel.
- Provides legal interpretation and application of the EAC and all related laws and regulations affecting the programs and operations of EAC.
- Resolves novel and complex legal problems which become precedent opinions to guide operating and program plans.
- Serves as a liaison between EAC and top legal officers of other Government departments and agencies as well as with those on Congressional Committees.
- Provides technical guidance and legal support to the Agency when responding to inquiries from Congress, other Federal agencies, state entities, and municipalities.
- Research and resolve unprecedented legal questions pertaining to pay, benefits, and status within an independent excepted service federal agency, requiring experience and technical analysis of agency authorities and other relevant statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Demonstrate an innate enjoyment of law; this is critical to legal leadership to lead a team of attorneys with various levels of ability, skills and experience to accomplish the goals of the legal division and agency.
- Demonstrate mastery of or master the concepts, principles, practices, laws, and regulations, governing all areas of agency operations.
- Provide solid experience with the majority of legal areas that the agency addresses.
- Develop legal risk mitigation plans and procedures for the agency.
- Provide expert judgment and critical thinking skills, demonstrated through leadership of complex projects and management of competing priorities in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- The General Counsel has frequent contact with key officials throughout the country, and high-level contacts with officials of other government agencies and external organizations. These contacts often involve contentious and complex questions of agency direction and resources, as well as matters of policy, and require an extraordinary degree of tact, customer service approach, awareness, and communication skills.
- Other duties as assigned.
Conditions of Employment:
The General Counsel is appointed for a four (4) term and reappointed by the Commissioners. The incumbent serves as the General Counsel and provides legal counsel, policy drafting, and services to the Commissioners, Executive Director and other Agency leadership and is responsible for dispensing legal advice on a myriad of issues involving, among other things, HAVA interpretation, litigation, legislation, procurement, appropriations, grant law, employment law, records management, FACA, FOIA, APA, sunshine act, ethics, federal compliance, and financial law. The General Counsel drafts policy and procedures for recommendation to the Commission. The incumbent is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Office of General Counsel and all agency legal matters.
- Candidates must meet all qualifications prior to the closing date of this announcement.
- Candidates must be a US Citizen.
To qualify for the position, you must possess at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-15 level in the Federal service, or comparable experience gained outside federal service.
Must demonstrate the ability to perform at an Executive Level - see competencies below.
Mandatory Technical Qualifications:
- Demonstrates experience and expertise in interpreting Federal statutes and rendering authoritative opinions on a wide variety of complex legal issues in business matters such as financial law, procurement law, grants law, litigation, and/or employment law.
- Demonstrates broad management experience overseeing a legal team to include planning, developing, administering, and directing an organization, including overall responsibility for short- and long-range program planning, and allocation of human and material resources, development of operational guidelines and policies, and creation of new methods and measures to solve complex management problems.
- Leading the Organization - Develops and implements an organizational vision that integrates program goals, priorities, and values. Assesses and adjusts to changing situations and implements innovative solutions to make organizational improvements. Strategically formulates objectives and priorities and implements plans consistent with the organization mission.
- Leading Others - Provides clear direction and ensures accountability; inspires others; provides constructive feedback; encourages and fosters an environment that supports diversity, inclusion, and equal opportunities. Demonstrates collaborative and cooperative approach. Develops and manages workforce based on staffing needs and budget.
- Leading Self - Understands personal strengths and weaknesses and objectively views their behavior. Seeks and accepts constructive feedback and adapts personal leadership style/strategies as needed to most effectively build trust and lead their organization.
- Business Results - Ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Makes decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks. Forms and communicates a vision and priorities. Develops and executes plans that achieve outcomes for the organization.
You must possess a J.D. or LL.M from a law school accredited by the American Bar Association and be a member in good standing of a bar in a state/territory of the United States, District of Columbia, or Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
Kindly refer to the following link for a detailed description of the job - https://www.usajobs.gov/job/702970200