Description:We are looking for a General Counsel to report into our Chief Executive Officer. In this role you will be responsible for all aspects of the company's legal, compliance and public policy functions. You will serve as a solutions-oriented advisor, partnering with the CEO, senior leadership and the board of directors on all aspects of the business, current and future risks and assist in setting, influencing and implementing the overall strategic direction of the company. You will lead a world-class team as the organization continues to grow and expand globally. The role is based at the headquarters in San Francisco, CA.
What You'll Do:
- Oversee all legal, regulatory, compliance and public policy matters, strategic and tactical, impacting Pinterest's current and future business and strategy.
- Serve as a member of the executive leadership team to set overall business strategy.
- Proactively advise the CEO, CFO, senior executives and board of directors.
- Set the strategic vision, priorities and goals for legal, compliance and public policy teams synchronized with Pinterest's broader business objectives; proactively execute the strategy while ensuring consistency and timely resolution.
- Develop, build and manage the overall legal, compliance and public policy functions, including leading a global team on a wide array of matters and issues. Lead the team executing core legal, compliance and public policy work around platform liability, privacy, copyright, corporate governance, compliance, complex litigation and regulatory matters, commercial and strategic business transactions and labor and employment issues.
- Proactively counsel across the company to help balance risk against business objectives on complex, high stakes matters, providing business oriented solutions and effective risk mitigation.
- Maintain proper corporate interactions with relevant local, state, federal and international government constituents and the community at large.
- Manage the operations, budget and systems for the delivery of legal, compliance and public policy services, driving efficiency and scale consistent with organizational demands.
- Maintain an environment of integrity, respect, and inclusion, with a focus on employee engagement and development across all levels.
What We're Looking For:
- Legal experience: 20 or more years of relevant legal experience, including top tier law firm training and senior in-house experience with a high growth, well-respected public company.
- Sector experience: Experience in a technology organization. Ideally the successful candidate will bring experience at a consumer internet platform, with demonstrable understanding of user generated content, platform liability, privacy, advertising and online commerce. demonstrated business acumen and familiarity with the consumer internet platform ecosystem is preferred.
- Leadership at scale: Demonstrated track record in leading and growing a high-performing, multi-disciplinary legal team, with global management experience at scale.
- Public company experience: Public company experience is required. This includes experience with public company reporting and governance as well as working comprehension of accounting principles, financial statements, control environments, reporting implications and investor relations.
- Breadth of Legal, Compliance and Regulatory Skillset: A broad legal skill set, with adaptability across a wide range of subject matters, including commercial and strategic business transactions, complex litigation, copyright, labor and employment, and regulatory and compliance matters. Sophisticated litigation and regulatory experience is required. Ideally this includes experience setting strategies for and interacting with US and international agencies for technology companies on compliance and regulatory issues related to platform liability, privacy, content, advertising and online commerce.
- Track record of impacting the business and advising senior leaders: Demonstrated ability to establish credibility and trust with the senior leadership team, CEO and board of directors, while relating comfortably with a wide variety of people. Creative and flexible problem-solver who can balance protecting the company against risk with facilitating business objectives. Agility and ability to quickly assess business challenges and make timely recommendations under pressure. Strategic vision combined with ability to “roll up their sleeves” and ensure effective operations.
- Professional qualifications: Admitted to one of the US state bars and in good standing or otherwise authorized to practice law in California. The candidate is not required to be a member of the California State Bar.