Description:Merkle Standard, a large scale and rapidly growing bitcoin mining platform, is seeking to add a General Counsel to its team. Merkle is guided by its business philosophy; to accelerate sustainable digital asset mining through a vertically integrated platform. With 225 MW of capacity at its existing site, Merkle will be one of the largest bitcoin mining platforms in North America.
Role and Responsibilities:
This position will report to the CEO and oversee all legal and compliance aspects of the firm, including:
- Familiarity with the evolving legal and regulatory requirements pertaining to digital assets, cryptocurrencies, blockchain products, including securities and commodities laws, state laws and regulations, and foreign laws.
- Staying abreast of applicable laws, regulations, guidance, and best practices, and advising management and business units on strategic and day-to-day issues.
- Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating agreements in a variety of commercial transactions and business deals, including joint ventures
- Managing and refining the firm's compliance program.
- Managing and refining the firm's third party risk management program.
- General corporate matters and governance.
- Advising on employment matters.
- Provide effective and competent management of the work of outside counsel, including responsibility for budget issues on projects and matters in area(s) of responsibility.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- 7+ years of relevant experience.
- JD from a top tier law school and admitted to practice law in California.
- Knowledge of securities laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of blockchain/cryptocurrency.
- Previous senior-level experience in a similar company.
- Experience in foreign jurisdictions.
- Advanced compliance and/or financial services certifications (e.g., CAMS) preferred.
- Competitive Salary
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Paid Time Off (Vacation, Sick & Public Holidays)
- Free access to building gym
- Friendly work culture