Description:Reports to: Supervising Attorney
Status: 1.00 FTE Exempt
Legal Aid of Sonoma County (LASC) is hiring an Elder Law Attorney (ELA). The ELA will be based at LASC's Santa Rosa office and will also provide mobile legal services at outreach sites and senior centers in outlying areas of the county, and via scheduled in-home visits to serve clients with limited mobility or transportation issues.
The ELA will provide consultation, advice and representation to eligible elder adults (age 60+) in Sonoma County. Legal topics addressed may include elder abuse and civil harassment protective orders, public benefits assistance, rental and mobile home park housing issues, elder financial abuse, and simple estate planning. The ELA will work with affiliate program staff as well as LASC's network of community partners, including Adult Protective Services (APS), to coordinate services to seniors. Services provided include one-on-one assistance with pleadings, legal advice and information, and in-court representation. The ELA has a moderate to heavy case load, with frequent court appearances in the Elder Protection court and/or the Civil court.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct comprehensive legal needs assessments, provide information and brief advice.
- Provide informed and appropriate legal and non-legal referrals to other community services.
- Prepare pleadings, declarations, demand letters, simple estate planning documents, and other forms and letters as needed.
- Represent clients in court.
- Conduct community outreach and education workshops, clinics, and community education presentations to help seniors know their legal rights.
- Assist clients with program specific Elder Intake forms, complete accurate Elder demographic data collection, and assist with summary data for periodic program reports to funders. Maintain up-to-date case notes, time reporting, and statistical records on services provided in LASC's online client database.
- Attend ongoing bi-weekly, monthly and regularly scheduled meetings with both LASC staff and partner organizations; including community meetings sponsored by APS, the Elder Justice Coalition, and the Area Agency on Aging (AAA).
- Work with Project partners to ensure smooth operations.
- This is not a remote position; services are provided in person at the LASC office in Santa Rosa, CA or at designated Sonoma County outreach sites during normal business hours four days a week. LASC currently offers the option to work remotely instead of in-office one day per week.
- Litigation or administrative hearing experience.
- Excellent communication skills, ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of community stakeholders, flexibility, and teamwork required.
- Working knowledge of computer applications including Microsoft Office, legal forms software, and database programs.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work effectively with great attention to detail, including timely case management and acommitment to accurate and on time data and time keeping reporting.
- At least 2 years demonstrated successful experience in providing direct legal services to clients.
- A valid CA Driver's license and current proof of automobile insurance required.
Experience Desired, but not Required:
- Previous Elder Law experience with an understanding of the special needs of seniors strongly preferred.
- Previous experience in legal services and/or demonstrated commitment to public interest law work.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish.
Education Required: Juris Doctorate, current active membership in the California Bar
Benefits: Legal Aid of Sonoma County provides a dynamic and supportive work environment, and an excellent benefit package, after the completion of an initial 90-day introductory period. Benefits include eligibility for company paid health insurance for the employee or cash-in-lieu, company paid dental insurance, eligibility for 401K participation after one year of continuous employment, and very generous paid vacation/sick/holiday leave policies. Note that employment at LASC is “at will” and completion of the introductory period does not create an employment contract.
Salary Range: $73,000 - $100,000 annually, depending on years of active Bar experience.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $73,000.00 - $100,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- People with a criminal record are encouraged to apply
- California Bar Law License (Required)
Work Location: In person