Description:Joining the team at Gaston County Government means being part of a community that is dedicated to improving the lives of its citizens. We are a dynamic organization that values innovation, collaboration, and commitment to service.
As an employee of Gaston County, you will have the opportunity to make a difference in your community every day. Whether you are working in public safety, social services, or administration, your contributions will help improve the lives of our residents and build a better future for our county.
The Gaston County Department of Social Services Legal Team provides legal representation to the staff of the agency in areas of Child Support Enforcement, Adoption, Protective Services for adults and children, and Guardianship.
Examples of Duties:
The duties listed below are not all of the duties that may be assigned but are those that are considered as essential for an employee to perform.
- Represents the Division of Social Services in Child Support matters arising under N.C.G.S. Chapter 110.
- Assists child support agents in drafting legal documents pertaining to child support actions; meets with child support agents to review court actions, prepare them to testify and to assist them in obtaining evidence for trial.
- Tries cases before District Court Judges. Prepares orders resulting from hearings.
- Meets with witnesses to prepare testimony. Meets with opposing counsel in attempt to negotiate settlement and to set parameters for trial.
- Acts as legal counsel to the Board of Health and Human Services as needed when other attorneys are not available, Acts as general counsel for the Division of Social Services in matters as assigned by the Lead Attorney or the DHHS Director.
Graduation from an accredited school of law with a Juris Doctorate degree and currently License to practice law in North Carolina, Membership in NC and Gaston County Bar Association. and 2 years experience required.
Attorney must have working knowledge of laws, ordinances, regulations, statutes, and policies regarding child support.
Minimally qualified applicants will start at 25% of the salary range: $41.8584/hr
The applicant selected must undergo a criminal background check and pass a drug screening test prior to employment
At Gaston County, we are committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, job applicants, and members of the community we serve. We value diversity, equity, and inclusion, and we strive to create a welcoming and inclusive environment where everyone is treated with respect and dignity.
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable laws.
Gaston County will not sponsor applicants for work visas.