Description:You Lead the Way. We've Got Your Back.
With the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. When you join Team Amex, you become part of a global and diverse community of colleagues with an unwavering commitment to back our customers, communities and each other. Here, you'll learn and grow as we help you create a career journey that's unique and meaningful to you with benefits, programs, and flexibility that support you personally and professionally.
At American Express, you'll be recognized for your contributions, leadership, and impact—every colleague has the opportunity to share in the company's success. Together, we'll win as a team, striving to uphold our company values and powerful backing promise to provide the world's best customer experience every day. And we'll do it with the utmost integrity, and in an environment where everyone is seen, heard and feels like they belong.
Join Team Amex and let's lead the way together.
The Corporate Securities Group of the General Counsel's Organization is seeking a Director & Counsel to advise on corporate securities and transactional matters.
Here's just some of what you will do in this role:
- Provide legal and strategic counsel on a wide range of corporate transactions and disclosure issues
- Represent the company and work closely with the Corporate Treasury team on capital markets transactions and financings, including asset-backed securitizations, credit facilities, share repurchases and derivatives transactions
- Advise on intercompany transactions, borrowings and investments, drafting agreements and key governance documents
- Work with the Corporate Sustainability team on philanthropic initiatives, including negotiating agreements and reviewing disclosures
- Monitor, review and advise colleagues worldwide on key regulatory issues and trends in the evolving securities space, including Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) matters
- Collaborate with colleagues within the General Counsel's Organization and across the enterprise
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree & J.D. with 5+ years' work experience in one or more of: securities, capital markets, structured finance, corporate finance
- Strong communication skills with the ability to explain complex legal matters clearly and concisely to non-specialists
- Must work well in cross-functional team settings
- Ability to build relationships and partner with others to drive results
- A positive attitude, growth mentality, will to win and a great teammate
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- Admitted to New York Bar or eligibility to do so
- In-house securities work or law firm issuer representation on disclosure issues and capital markets transactions
- Independent, capable of handling multiple assignments simultaneously
- Capacity to be agile and pivot appropriately when challenged with new information or evolving circumstances
- Strong project management skills
- Strong leadership skills and strong customer focus
- Location: 200 Vesey Street, New York, NY 10285
- Workplace Flexibility: Full time. Potential to work remotely part of the time.
- American Express offers a collegial, highly stimulating and diverse working environment. High performance is rewarded continually.
- Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
Salary Range: $170,000.00 to $255,000.00 annually + bonus + equity (if applicable) + benefits
The above represents the expected salary range for this job requisition. Ultimately, in determining your pay, we'll consider your location, experience, and other job-related factors.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
We back our colleagues with the support they need to thrive, professionally and personally. That's why we have Amex Flex, our enterprise working model that provides greater flexibility to colleagues while ensuring we preserve the important aspects of our unique in-person culture. Depending on role and business needs, colleagues will either work onsite, in a hybrid model (combination of in-office and virtual days) or fully virtually.
US Job Seekers/Employees - Click here to view the “Know Your Rights” poster and supplement and the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.
If the links do not work, please copy and paste the following URLs in a new browser window: https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ofccp/posters to access the three posters.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.