This position will be responsible for providing legal advisory and business support for Oportun's expanded partnership channels, such as lead generation, Lending as a Service, embedded finance and bank partnership, through which Oportun offers consumer financing products. In this role, the Director, Business Development Counsel will report to the Sr. Director, Sr. Counsel- Business Development and Credit Card and collaborate closely with the Product and Legal Regulatory practice group as well as our compliance and operational teams. This is an opportunity to work in a fast-paced, mission-driven organization where your contributions can have a meaningful impact on underbanked and unbanked consumers.
- Play an active role on the business teams, advising on partner initiatives and proposals, attending internal and partner team meetings and working closely with business leaders, including product owners, product managers, field staff, product delivery managers, and others.
- Draft, review and negotiate partner and vendor agreements.
- Advise on new business proposals and processes, identifying and providing counsel on legal and regulatory issues.
- Support on-boarding of new partners, third party risk management processes and partner due diligence.
- Provide ongoing legal support for partner programs, including operations matters, contract compliance, and review and analysis of relevant and legal regulatory issues. Develop working knowledge of Oportun's consumer products, services and operations.
- Coordinate with Legal team members and departments in connection with, among other matters, regulatory, marketing, and contract review issues.
- Support compliance professionals; advise and assist in the design and implementation of compliance management program, including compliance risk assessments, partner training, policy and procedure development, consumer complaints, and controls development, testing and monitoring.
- Manage internal legal department tasks and initiatives including tracking and inventory of relevant state & federal law
- Participate in special projects in support of Oportun's strategic objectives; provide backup support for and coordinate with other Legal team members, as needed.
- Act as trusted advisor to the business in understanding business objectives and assisting with creative solutions to challenges.
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.) degree, qualified to practice law in a United States jurisdiction.
- 10+ years' experience as an attorney in a law firm or corporate law department.
- 5+ years' experience in consumer financial services law, some of it in-house at a financial services company.
- Working knowledge of state and federal consumer credit laws and regulations related to state licensing and brokering, consumer finance laws and true lender and bank partnership issues.
- Experience drafting, reviewing and negotiating business contracts.
- Ability to manage multiple conflicting priorities set by the business while still meeting internal department goals.
- Effective written, interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to collaboratively work as part of a small legal practice team as well as Oportun business staff and management.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to exercise sound legal judgment as well as strategic and business partnership in supporting Oportun's business initiatives.
- Excellent written and verbal communication/presentation skills, including the ability to persuade and influence management at all levels.
- Organizational skills, attention to detail and positive professional attitude.
- Spanish fluency (written and verbal) a plus.