An employee in this classification performs work of considerable difficulty by performing legal research, analysis, and assistance the Chief Legal advisor for the College. Work is distinguished by the ability to provide legal advice and guidance to members of the College. General direction is received by the assigned supervisor.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited U.S. law school and current license to practice in the State of Illinois, or eligibility to apply for admission at the time of application with five years progressively responsibility in higher education or public sector law, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Considerable knowledge of applicable regulations, laws and statutes governing higher education in the State of Illinois.
- Considerable skills with legal research, verbal and written communications.
- Considerable skills in organizing work to meet established deadlines while maintaining attention to detail.
- Considerable skills in developing and maintaining positive and professional relationships with internal and external members to be applied to a variety of individuals with differing education, ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Considerable skills in operating a personal computer, applicable software and peripheral equipment as well as learning and adapting to new and updated programs and technology.
- Working skills managing the work of professional level staff.
Desired Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Previous work experience with higher education or public sector law with specialization in employment law and contract review.
- Receive and respond to inquiries from College administrators, employees and/or others involved in college operations including, but limited to matters such as employment practices, student affairs, insurance and risk management, federal and state funding guidelines, contracts and other College policies and procedures.
- Perform legal research and analysis with regard to a wide range of legislative, regulatory and other institutional matters and present findings to the General Counsel, President, Cabinet and Board of Trustees.
- Advise College administration on matters of compliance with state and federal regulations and make recommendation for corrective actions as needed.
- Participate in the development of policies and administrative procedures.
- Advise and assist the Purchasing Department with contract review and standardization, including contracts, agreements and memoranda of understanding (MOU’s).
- Advise and assist the Human Resources Department with matters related to employment law, employment policies, and benefits administration.
- Assist the General Counsel with management of outside legal counsel and serve as the liaison between College departments, vendors and government agencies as needed.
- Inform the President, Cabinet and staff of changes to legislation, Board Policy, Administrative procedures and other issues impacting operations.
- Provide other forms of legal representation for the College as needed and perform any other legal duties as assigned by the General Counsel.
- Maintains required training, licensure and/or certifications.
- Maintains confidentiality of privileged information and adheres to applicable privacy laws.
- Demonstrates sensitivity, understanding and respect of diverse populations within the workplace.
- Maintains an understanding of the work of colleagues to effectively provide backup and/or support for co-workers during times when the division is short-staffed or experiencing an increased volume of work.
- Adheres to department guidelines for attendance and punctuality.
- Available to respond to internal and external customers, either in person or over the phone, during scheduled business hours.
- Demonstrates independent judgment and discretion in making position related decisions.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned which pertain to the job description.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule which includes days/evenings/weekends as needed by the department.