Description:Small Criminal Defense Law Firm Seeking a Passionate, Experienced Criminal Attorney
- Do you get excited about the prospect of a complex jury trial on the horizon?
- Do you look forward to hearings on motions to suppress illegally obtained evidence, and strategizing how best to use those hearings to get the client the very best result possible?
- Do you believe that the criminal defense attorney is the guy in the white hat, not the black hat?
- Are you looking for professional and personal growth opportunities?
- Do you want to be an important and valued member of a close-knit team that looks out for one another and works collaboratively?
- Does sitting behind a desk all day, never going to court, and doing nothing but “paper pushing” look like your worst nightmare?
The Maine Criminal Defense Group (MCDG) is looking for a seasoned and passionate criminal defense attorney to join our team. We're looking for someone who has more than just experience. We're looking for a compassionate advocate who loves working on criminal cases and all the stress (and rewards) that come with this line of work.
We need someone who can hit the ground running, jump right into cases, roll their sleeves up, and start working on solving our clients' criminal problems. If you're passionate about actually trying cases in the courtroom, working relationships with prosecutors and advocating for your criminal clients' positions, then you've found the right place.
About the Position:
We have an experienced administrative team to support you with interns and legal assistants to do the heavy lifting on day-to-day paperwork. We're also growing, which means there continues to be room for upward mobility. Our main office is located in beautiful downtown Kennebunk, and a satellite office is located in Portland. As we continue to grow, we anticipate opportunities for not only upward mobility, but opportunities to work in a hybrid capacity as well (remote mixed with in-office time).
This position requires significant experience handling serious criminal matters. While federal criminal practice experience is not required, it is strongly preferred. We are looking for someone with experience handling serious sex crimes, OUI/DUI charges, crimes of domestic violence, drug trafficking, financial crimes, and child pornography cases. Although prosecution experience is interesting, it is not an important factor as there is a real difference in skill sets and mindset needed to defend someone versus seeking to put someone in jail.
We are looking for someone who would consider themselves an experienced trial lawyer and a seasoned negotiator. Criminal defense is as much about risk mitigation and client management as it is about duking it out in the courtroom. If you haven't tried jury trials to their conclusion, conducted contested bail hearings, hearings to suppress illegally obtained evidence, protection orders, and conducted complex defense investigations, please do not apply. This position just isn't for you. If you don't like talking with clients and taking phone calls, this position isn't for you. If you consider what you do is a job rather than a professional calling, this position isn't for you.
Our recruiting process takes time. Because we see this position as a career calling and not just a job, we think it's important that we all take the time to get to know each other in order to determine whether the position is a good fit for you and us. If this opportunity is still of interest to you, then read on.
Our experienced criminal defense attorney has…
- Tried numerous jury and bench trials to verdicts.
- Worked with expert witnesses, conducted evidentiary hearings (both simple and complex) on issues involving competency, motions in limine regarding admissibility of evidence, 4th, 5th and 6th Amendment violations, etc.
- Conducted numerous contested bail hearings.
- Experienced what “Lawyer of the Day” entails.
- Conducted final contested protection from abuse hearings where the other party was represented by counsel.
- Managed high leverage / high stress situations like a pro.
- Stood up in a packed courtroom to defend your clients, and likes it.
- Not rolled over just because the judge disagrees with your defense theory.
- Excellent legal research and advocacy skills.
While we care about skills and experience, we care equally about the cultural fit between you and the Firm. The right person for this role must:
- Be able to thrive in the chaos of emergencies -- not just survive. Sometimes the best laid plans fall apart and you have to have the mindset to pivot and make lemonade out of lemons.
- Focus on the solution, not the problem.
- Have a thick skin, don't take things personally.
- Have a high degree of emotional intelligence.
- Have keen conflict resolution skills (NOT conflict avoidance skills).
- Want to work in a structured office environment. While there is the opportunity to work remotely, our Firm culture is dependent on our team working comfortably with each other in person. In-office days are required as part of this role.
- Be enthusiastic about having some real degree of control over the litigation strategies employed on behalf of our clients, with minimal daily oversight.
- A desire to be managed and grow both professionally, and personally. Because professional growth is always preceded by personal growth.
While our preference is to hire the right someone from Maine, we are open to candidates from anywhere in the northeast looking to transition into a new life and career opportunity, here in beautiful southern Maine.
We're an established criminal defense firm with significant experience in both state and federal cases. Our Firm's motto is that we help good people in bad situations avoid serious criminal consequences. Does that resonate with you? We give people hope and a second chance. We save lives, one client at a time, and we absolutely believe in what we do, which is to provide the very best defense possible for each and every one of our clients.
We provide competitive pay, excellent benefits, including liberal time off, and professional development opportunities. We're also big on ensuring our team continues to grow personally and professionally, and we'll push you to stay on that path of development.
This is a mid to high level position, providing a highly competitive compensation package that includes salary, benefits, and an incentive plan driven by performance, KPIs, and ROI. And more importantly, if you choose to come work with us, you'll get to work in one of the prettiest places in the country, southern Maine. Come join us in beautiful Kennebunk, where we're surrounded by the ocean, incredible restaurants and foodie opportunities, and great school systems for your family.
Applicants will go through a multi-phase interview process, starting with an initial conversation, some easy online surveys, a submission of professional writing samples to demonstrate your legal research and advocacy skills, and at least one panel interview conducted via Zoom.
Get in touch
If this sounds like your job, your team, and your part of the country… and you think you'd be a Great fit for our Firm's culture, we very much look forward to speaking with you soon.
Please click on the button below and include the following in the email window that pops up:
- Your resume attached in PDF format
- A statement of no more than 100 words stating why you're the right person for this job in MS Word format
- In the subject line, please put I Am Your Next Super Star Criminal Attorney
Please note that any candidates who fail to follow these simple instructions will not be considered. Reading comprehension is important.