PG&E is looking for an experienced litigator who will be responsible for providing legal advice, counsel, and representation in connection with a variety of tort and commercial civil proceedings, bankruptcy claims, subpoenas, third party claims including through PG&E's DP4CR program (www.dp4cr.com), arbitration, mediation, and other forms of dispute resolution. The Counsel will also be responsible for the selection and management of outside counsel to handle litigation and for the coordination of the company's litigation strategy on various matters so as to provide strategic, comprehensive, and complete legal advice. The Counsel will also be responsible for project and budget management of legal matters and litigation.
- Develops legal advice and strategy for a range of litigation, disputes, and alternative dispute resolution.
- Communicates with PG&E's management and leadership concerning key legal issues and the strategy and status of litigation, disputes, and recommended resolution.
- Assumes primary responsibility for representing PG&E in judicial proceedings and dispute resolution processes.
- Prepares and/or reviews filings, pleadings, testimony and declarations, memoranda and other materials filed in court or submitted in dispute resolution.
- Manages and coordinates outside counsel, including developing and implementing strategy for litigation, and dispute resolution as well as outside counsel selection through alternative fee arrangements.
- Assumes legal budget responsibility for outside counsel, consultants, and experts.
- Assists with outside counsel's coordination with broader legal team of paralegals and claims investigators.
PG&E expects its leaders to conduct themselves with the highest ethics and integrity and to embody specific leadership qualities.
- Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into executable strategies.
- Operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- A Leader in the Community and Industry
- Effectively building formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization.
- Anticipating and balancing the needs of multiple stakeholders.
- Demonstrates Safety Leadership
- A safety champion in words and deeds with respect to both employee and public safety.
- Maintaining an environment of open dialog and free of retaliation.
- Influences and Inspires
- Using various types of communications that convey a clear understanding of the needs of different audiences.
- Maneuvering comfortably through internal policy, process, and people-related dynamics.
- Optimizes Team Performance
- Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Creating a climate where people are motivated to do their best to help the organization.
- Values Diversity and Creates Inclusion
- Recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
- Fiscally Responsible
- Interpreting and applying understanding of key financial indicators to make better business decisions.
- Planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
- Leads Ethically and in a Compliant Manner
- Sponsoring and sustaining a high integrity speak-up corporate culture which prioritizes ethics, safety and compliance.
- Building on necessary level of industry, company and subject-matter expertise, including laws and regulations.
- Provides a High Level of Customer Service
- Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school
- U.S. state bar active member in good standing
- 6 years of experience, which may include other industry experience relevant to the position, of which at least 3 years of experience was working as a litigation attorney
- Admission to the California Bar
- Litigation experience at the trial level and/or appellate level in state and federal courts
- In-house or government experience
- Experience selecting and overseeing outside counsel, consultants, and experts
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, including competency in developing and delivering communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences
- Experience in civil litigation in a variety of fields which could include asbestos, breach of contract or securities
- Experience working with liability insurers
- Ability to manage support staff such as paralegals and claims investigators
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to provide sound, clear legal advice to management and other leaders
- Competency in building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals
- Desire and aptitude to work in a collaborative environment on a team of high-performing legal professionals
- Ability to effectively, efficiently, and calmly manage multiple time-sensitive projects
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Competency in building strong client relationships and delivering customer centric solutions.
- Knowledge of eDiscovery issues, tools, and platforms
- Proficient with technology in the legal context (online outside counsel engagement or claims management) and experience with Microsoft Office Products