Alterra Mountain Company has a Corporate Counsel opportunity available in its in-house Legal / ESG Division. Reporting to the General Counsel, this position would work as part of a team of seven attorneys, two paralegals, and other legal, risk, and DEI/ESG professionals and team members. The Corporate Counsel position will be responsible for providing general legal guidance to Alterra Mountain Company’s mountain destinations, as well as business divisions located in the Denver corporate office, and support other members of the Legal / ESG Division on other matters.
Daily responsibilities will include drafting and reviewing a high-volume of contracts and providing legal guidance and advice on a variety of different practice areas. The position is fast-paced, dynamic, team-oriented and rewarding. The Corporate Counsel must be able to work autonomously as self-management and accountability is an essential asset for this role. Ability to ski or snowboard and a passion for the mountains, while not essential, is an asset in this position.
- Review, draft, and negotiate a heavy volume and wide variety of contracts, including sales, services, food and beverage, lodging, event, marketing, sponsorship, retail, supply, equipment, IT/Sass/telecommunication/technology agreements, maintenance and service contracts
- Collaborate with department colleagues and policy/subject-matter specialists on various legal, local/state government and regulatory issues
- Interact with vendors and vendors’ counsel regarding commercial agreement negotiation and support
- Work with legal, business and operations teams to improve contracting processes and management, including developing internal policies regarding the same
- Conduct research on a wide variety of issues
- Oversee legal issues and/or manage outside counsel in matters associated with litigation, joint ventures and corporate structuring
- Assist with transactional work, including the drafting of NDAs, LOIs and definitive agreements, as well as assist with all aspects of transactional due diligence. Mergers and Acquisitions experience is an asset.
- Other duties as assigned
- Member in good standing with the Colorado or other relevant State Bar Association. Admission to California, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia, Washington bars or admitted in any Canadian Provinces is beneficial.
- 7+ years of continuous experience as an attorney working in-house, at a law firm, or preferably both.
- J.D. from an ABA accredited law school
- Undergraduate diploma or master’s degree