Description:Every Exelixis employee is united in an ambitious cause: to launch innovative medicines that give patients, and their families hope for the future. In this pursuit, we know our employees are our most valuable asset. After operating in the challenging biotech sector for 25 years, we have a proven track record of resiliency in the face of adversity. The success of our lead product has provided a solid commercial foundation allowing us to reinvigorate our research efforts and grow our team in areas such as Drug Discovery, Clinical Development and Commercial.
As we expand our global partnerships and further reinvest in R&D to help us discover the next breakthrough for difficult-to-treat cancers, we're seeking to add talented, dedicated employees to power our mission.
Cancer is our cause. Make it yours, too.
This is a position to help lead Exelixis' IP function to support our internal and collaboration research programs in large molecule therapeutics (biologics).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinates with outside counsel on preparation and prosecution of patent applications related to the company's biologics portfolio (both in-licensed and through internal research activities) and works with scientists to obtain necessary information and data.
- Conducts “freedom to operate” and patentability searches using patent and scientific literature and databases.
- Assists patent counsel in preparation of freedom to operate and patentability opinions.
- Provides advice and service on patent/intellectual property matters including patentability of inventions, etc.
- Coordinates with outside counsel in the preparation, filing, and prosecution of patent applications to obtain broadest possible protection for company's inventions.
- Ensures all commercially important inventions are protected by valid patents and do not infringe valid third-party patents.
- May assist in handling appeal and opposition proceedings. May assist or advise in negotiation and drafting of material transfer agreements, research agreements, patent licenses and other agreements.
- Conducts and evaluates state-of-the-art searches.
- Assists in training scientists in electronic notebook maintenance and invention disclosure procedures.
- May attend internal scientific meetings and meet with scientists for periodic updates.
- May help paralegal staff to maintain the company's database of publications, patents and patent applications.
- Develops patent strategy and develops and implements procedures in coordination with supervisors and others in patent group
- Collaborates within the patent team based on organizational goals and company policy, with responsibility for results including cost, methods and staffing.
- Complies with company health and safety policies and procedures.
May manage patent paralegal, including hiring, scheduling and assigning work, reviewing performance, and recommends salary increases, promotions, transfers, demotions, or terminations.
Education/experience/knowledge & Skills:
- Admission to practice before the US Patent and Trademark Office is required. While this position is directed to a patent lawyer, a highly qualified patent agent may be considered.
- JD, MS/MA degree in immunology, pharmacology, cell biology, or related discipline and three to five years of related experience; or,
- JD, PhD degree in immunology, pharmacology, cell biology, or related discipline and two to four years of related experience; or,
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Advanced degree in immunology, pharmacology, cell biology, or related discipline highly desired.
- Experience in Biotech/Pharmaceutical industry or in a law firm prosecuting patents is required.
- Has experience in relevant industry/profession and area of specialization.
- Performs a variety of complicated tasks with creativity in consultation with senior management.
- Has emerging understanding and wide application of technical principles, theories, concepts and techniques.
- Has good general knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Applies strong analytical and business communication skills.
- Uses professional concepts and company objectives to resolve complex issues in creative and effective ways.
- Identifies and implements methods and procedures to achieve results.
- Works on complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors.
- Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation of criteria for obtaining results.
- Networks with key contacts outside own area of expertise.
Environment: primarily working indoors, performing clerical work
If you like wild growth and working with happy, enthusiastic over-achievers, you'll enjoy your career with us!
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several?U.S. geographic markets, and we pay differently based on those defined markets. The base pay range for this position?is $212,000 - $314,000 annually. The base pay range may take into account the candidate's geographic region, which will adjust the pay depending on the specific work location. The base pay offered will take into account the candidate's geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, experience and internal equity, among other factors.
In addition to the base salary, as part of our Total Rewards program, Exelixis offers comprehensive employee benefits package, including a 401k plan with generous company contributions, group medical, dental and vision coverage, life and disability insurance, and flexible spending accounts. Employees are also eligible for a discretionary annual bonus program, or if field sales staff, a sales-based incentive plan. Exelixis also offers employees the opportunity to purchase company stock, and receive long-term incentives, 15 accrued vacation days in their first year, 17 paid holidays including a company-wide winter shutdown in December, and up to 10 sick days throughout the calendar year.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.