Description:At STERIS, we help our Customers create a healthier and safer world by providing innovative healthcare and life science product and service solutions around the globe.
The Corporate Counsel is responsible for providing counsel, compliance advice, representation, legal training, and other support on a global basis to the Company's corporate functions, including finance, treasury, tax, compensation and benefits, and facilities. The position is responsible for managing and handling corporate legal issues associated with a $20+ billion market cap public company, including employee health and benefit plans, corporate governance, corporate securities, executive and director compensation, SEC and NYSE compliance, subsidiary management, real-estate and corporate finance. The ideal candidate will have a corporate legal background focused on employee benefit plans, incentive compensation arrangements, ERISA compliance and employee compensation related matters.
This is a hybrid position based in Mentor, OH.
The legal issues vary from time to time, but include preparing, drafting, and negotiating legal documentation and internal policies with respect to business and finance agreements, securities filings, management of Outside Counsel, litigation management, business development support (including mergers and acquisitions), and corporate compliance, and advising business teams on proper legal and regulatory compliance, risk management, and related business strategy.
- Serve as the senior legal advisor to the Company's corporate support functions, including Benefits, Finance, Treasury, Tax, and Facilities. Counsels management of the corporate support functions on the legal implications of the area's activities and challenges. Review, evaluate, draft, and negotiate business agreements which properly protect the interests of the Company. Support business development, legal training, and regulatory and corporate compliance activities. Provide legal research support for business management and risk prevention and risk mitigation issues. (30%)
- Provide highly specialized and complex legal advice with respect to securities laws, executive and director compensation matters, and compliance with SEC, NYSE and Irish public company regulations. Responsible for reviewing quarterly SEC filings and preparing the Company's annual proxy statement. (15%)
- Support corporate governance matters, including the Board of Directors and the Nominating and Governance and Compensation and Organization Development Committees. Provide advice and support with respect to director and executive compensation matters. (10%)
- Ensure subsidiary compliance with corporate governance requirements, including meetings, minutes, filings, registrations, actions, and powers of attorney. (25%)
- Supervise, lead, and develop the staff of attorneys, paralegals, and administrative assistants assigned to the Legal Department's corporate support area. Manage outside counsel and other Legal Department service providers to ensure work quality and cost effectiveness. (20%)
- Juris Doctor Degree from an accredited law school.
- Currently licensed to practice law in the State of Ohio, or able to obtain a license to practice in Ohio shortly after joining STERIS.
- Minimum of 5 years of legal profession experience, with firm or in-house legal department positions.
- Experience in representing corporations and businesses, negotiating complex business agreements, advising clients on legal, regulatory, risk management, risk avoidance and compliance matters on an international basis.
- Experience in benefits and compensation corporate legal issues preferred.
- Experience in mergers and acquisitions, business transactions, and international law is a benefit.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; the ability to work effectively with diverse internal and external constituencies.
- Strong interpsersonal and problem solving skills and ability to proactively use legal knowledge, skills, and resources to provide practical and creative solutions to avoid and mitigate problems and achieve business goals, rather than merely indentifiying issues.
- High energy, motivated, enthusiastic and creative, yet thoughtful and attentive to the need for timely, effective, and detailed follow-through.
- Must be able to lead and direct business units and functions in the area of legal compliance and business transactions, with minimal supervision.
What we offer:
The opportunity to join a company that will invest in you for the long-term. Steris couldn't be where it is today without our incredible people. That's why we share in our success together by rewarding you for your hard work. Hiring people who are in it for the long run with Steris is our ultimate goal. We do this by providing competitive salaries, healthcare benefits, tuition assistance, paid-time off, holidays, matching 401(k), annual merit, and incentive plans. Join us and help write our next chapter.
Steris is a leading global provider of products and services that support patient care with an emphasis on infection prevention. We Help Our Customers Create a Healthier and Safer World by providing innovative healthcare, life sciences and dental products and services. Steris is a $5 billion, publicly traded (NYSE: STE) company with approximately 17,000 associates and Customers in more than 100 countries.
If you need assistance completing the application process, please call 1 (440) 392.7047. This contact information is for accommodation inquiries only and cannot be used to check application status.
Steris is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity and the use of affirmative action programs to ensure that persons are recruited, hired, trained, transferred and promoted in all job groups regardless of race, color, religion, age, disability, national origin, citizenship status, military or veteran status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, and any other category protected by federal, state or local law. We are not only committed to this policy by our status as a federal government contractor, but also we are strongly bound by the principle of equal employment opportunity.
The full affirmative action program, absent the data metrics required by 60-741.44(k), shall be available to all employees and applicants for employment for inspection upon request. The program may be obtained at your location's HR Office during normal business hours.
Job Segment: M&A, Corporate Finance, Real Estate, Risk Management, Infection Control, Management, Finance, Sales, Healthcare