Metabolon is searching for an experienced, reliable, and energetic Corporate Attorney to provide insights and leadership on legal issues impacting the company and its business as it prepares for its next leg of significant growth. This position has a major role in providing legal advice in areas of significant companywide impact, with a heavy focus on commercial activities while also supporting the corporate strategic plan, legal risk management and litigation oversight, evaluation of new ventures, corporate finance, and general IPO readiness in addition to the day-to-day general legal support. The corporate Attorney will be responsible for ensuring that the company's business strategies, policies and programs and activities are developed and applied in full recognition of all legal implications and risks. The corporate attorney will advise leaders and individual contributors throughout the business on a variety of legal, regulatory and business issues, providing advice and legal support on an array of legal and regulatory matters, including:
- All forms of commercial and corporate contracting activity
- Policy development and risk management
- Corporate finance and other significant corporate transactions
- Corporate governance and the operation of Directors and Committees
- Lead contracting efforts, including drafting, reviewing, and negotiating a wide variety of contracts (e.g., MSAs, SOWs, MTAs, CTAs, NDAs, various vendor agreements, consulting agreements, joint development agreements license agreements, and software licenses) to clearly and effectively codify and protect the company's commercial goals, legal rights and obligations, and risk tolerance.
- Provide prompt intervention to manage contractual issues and conflicts as appropriate.
- Advise on technical, software, and data-related legal issues
- Lead legal operations, including records management program, and support corporate projects as needed
- Work closely across operations, commercial (sales, sales operations, marketing), research & development and other teams to proactively identify and articulate legal issues and risks and provide practical advice through trusted partnerships
- Lead management and oversight of outside counsel and manage associated legal budget
- Effectively manage the cost and quality of legal services
- Provide accurate and timely counsel on the company's activities (e.g. contracts, regulatory matters, intellectual property, securities, employment matters, etc.)
- Ensure compliance by implementing and executing appropriate agreement forms, policies, processes and other measures that all the company's business decisions, activities and operations comply with applicable laws and regulations, while actively helping the company mitigate legal risks
- Develop and oversee corporate legal processes including both simple and complex commercial contracting matters, corporate transactions, partnerships, compliance, and periodic management of claims and litigation as needed
- Develop policies, forms, processes, and procedures facilitating appropriate business and legal outcomes
- Communicate and negotiate with external business partners, regulators, external counsel, public authorities, and others, establishing relationships based on integrity and trust
- Maintain the utmost confidentiality in all legal and business-related matters
In addition to excellent written and oral communication skills, the preferred candidate will demonstrate first-rate drafting and analytical abilities, strong initiative, and business and interpersonal skills consistent with the highest professional standards. The preferred candidate will have all or most of the following attributes and experience:
- An experienced, effective lawyer demonstrating a high degree of client acceptance and exhibiting a high level of confidence in business interactions.
- Possesses excellent client-service skills and the demonstrated ability to interact with and effectively advise business leaders at all levels.
- Establishes credibility at all organizational levels, winning respect throughout the organization. In key interactions, presents ideas logically, assertively, and effectively. Facilitates consensus-building, using it effectively to resolve conflict and overcome resistance.
- Exhibits good, effective, and pragmatic judgment, thinking logically and exercising well-developed and independent thinking to produce creative and constructive solutions under pressure.
- Demonstrates an experienced, strategic, and analytic approach to solving business legal needs.
- Demonstrates extremely high professional and personal ethics and integrity.
- Creative problem solver. bringing complex and sophisticated legal matters to a successful conclusion with minimal supervision. Can resolve, or lead the resolution of, critical legal issues faced by the business, with a focus on identifying and adding enterprise value.
- Shows a high level of industry, a self-reliant work ethic and a high level of productivity and efficiency.
- Is a solid, self-assured contributor, demonstrating effective leadership skills and presence. Demonstrates project leadership, effectively working with colleagues to prioritize and accomplish goals
- Communicates and collaborates effectively and skillfully with colleagues and clients, both orally and in writing.
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school
- Licensed to practice law from a state Bar Association
- At least 5 years of legal experience, with experience as an in-house corporate legal counsel in a commercial business environment a strong plus
- Experience in working with applicable laws and regulations
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of commercial law, corporate law, business processes/procedures and transactions
- Sound judgement and the ability to analyze large amounts of information, determine relevant facts and propose and implement viable solutions
- Full comprehension of the influences of the external environment of a corporation, and comfort operating amid ambiguity to balance and manage risk
- Demonstrated ability to create proactive and/or defensive legal strategies and to negotiate and execute transactions and manage any claims and litigation arising in the ordinary course
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity
- Ability to apply legal knowledge and insight to all parts of the business
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (verbally and in writing)