Description:BlueChip Financial (BCF) is growing its legal team and looking for a Corporate Attorney to draft, review, and negotiate various contracts, agreements, and legal documents; and manage and mitigate legal risks by designing and implementing company policies and procedures. We are looking for someone who can bring a proactive, curious, and collaborative approach to the unique legal and regulatory questions of a growing, fast-paced, and innovative financial technology company.
In this role, you will...
- Partner with business departments to draft, review and negotiate a broad range of contracts related to the operations of the business, including vendor agreements, NDAs, consulting agreements, etc.
- Provide first-level support and consultation on day-to-day routine contracts and legal matters.
- Manage the legal department's contract database, ensuring agreements are appropriately uploaded, categorized, and filed.
- Support and guide business departments to appropriately manage legal, regulatory, compliance, and operational risks in accordance with applicable laws, regulations, and guidance.
- Have a working knowledge of, stay up to date with, and monitor the changes in consumer finance regulations with the ability to analyze them (e.g., Dodd-Frank, TILA, GLBA, ECOA, FCRA, BSA, FACTA, EFTA, TCPA, FDCPA, UDAAP, and the applicable Tribal Codes).
- Work with the compliance department to review and revise policies and procedures, training materials, and similar written guidance.
- May assist with more complex, sensitive legal matters with oversight from the senior attorneys within the legal department
- Provide legal and administrative support to the legal department.
- Complete other responsibilities and projects as assigned
- J.D. from an ABA-accredited law school
- Admitted to practice law and in good standing in at least one U.S. jurisdiction
- Minimum of 3 years of legal experience in an in-house legal department or reputable law firm, with a demonstrated record of increasing responsibility
- Experience representing financial institutions or at a financial institution is preferred
- Expertise in handling contracts and agreements with demonstrated negotiation experience and the ability to exercise sound, pragmatic judgment and think strategically
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, verbal, and written communication skills
- Ability to think independently, being mindful of maintaining an appropriate balance between management and mitigation of legal risks and business efficacy, exercising good business judgment, being solution-oriented and problem-solving creatively
- Ability to take a risk-based approach to prioritize workload and adapt work style to meet complex and varied workloads and the need for a timely decision given business pressures
- Ability to develop and maintain positive and professional relationships with colleagues in the Legal Department and business partners
Location and TravelBCF is headquartered in Belcourt, North Dakota, with satellite offices in San Diego, California, Minneapolis, Minnesota, and Atlanta, Georgia. This position can be located at either of the office locations. Travel to other offices may be required. Travel may also be required to attend industry conferences or trade group events, which may vary at times.
- The opportunity to help bring much-needed income and economic development to the Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa Indians
- Competitive salary and performance bonuses
- Generous employee benefits plan, including robust healthcare plans, matching 401K, internet and cell phone line and data reimbursement, and four weeks of PTO
- Company-sponsored professional development and training opportunities
- A relocation package can be considered for the ideal candidate
About the company:
BlueChip Financial (d/b/a Spotloan.com) is a leading online direct lender founded in 2012 that utilizes advanced underwriting technology to provide short-term loans to Americans in need. BCF is wholly owned and operated by the Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa Indians of North Dakota, a Federally-recognized Native American Tribe (the “Tribe”).
BlueChip Financial is an integral part of the Tribe's economic development efforts, and it is an essential provider of employment opportunities on the Tribe's reservation. Employment decisions at BCF are based on qualifications, ability, and merit. When qualifications are equal, candidates who are enrolled members of the Tribe will receive preference. After considering this preference, it is BCF's policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or national origin.