Xencor is an innovative, clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company located in the Los Angeles area—near Pasadena—and in San Diego. We use our pioneering XmAb® technology to discover and develop better biotherapeutics, antibodies and cytokines with improved function, with the goal of improving patient outcomes and quality of life. For more information, please visit www.xencor.com. We have an excellent opportunity for a Contract Patent Agent-Life Sciences to join our team.
This is a hybrid position for our Pasadena or San Diego offices
Responsible for contributing to managing, protecting, and expanding Xencor’s intellectual property.
- Participates in meetings and discussions with various scientific groups including protein engineering, clinical science and development groups to identify and understand key intellectual properties
- Works with the other patent department personnel and outside legal counsel in the preparation of provisional and utility patent applications and to prepare strategies for responding to office actions on US and international patent filings
- Contributes to the development and evaluation of intellectual property strategy
- Provides intellectual property related analysis on issues such as freedom to operate
- Performs due diligence and identifies potential research opportunities on new targets/ideas through strategic literature and patent database searches
- Provides competitive intelligence by monitoring patent filing activities and publications/abstracts of competitors
- Assists with implementation and ongoing improvement of IP-related systems and processes
- Coordinates internal IP meetings
- Adheres to all department and company-wide policies regarding conduct, performance and procedures
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Position requires a Bachelor’s degree in biological science and a minimum of 4 years related work experience in the biotechnology industry. Registration to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office is also required. Previous experience with concepts related to antibodies is highly desired. Experience with Benchling desired but not required.
Position also requires:
- Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail, with proven ability to handle multiple tasks efficiently and effectively
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, managers and clients
- Computer skills including proficiency in use of Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Self-motivated and adaptable to a dynamic environment with the ability to support successful change
- Comfortable in a fast-paced small company environment with minimal direction and able to adjust workload based upon changing priorities
- Ability to demonstrate competencies applicable for job based on Xencor’s Leadership Competency Model.
Expected Base Salary Range: $40.00 - $60.00 an hour contract position.
The actual salary will be based on the selected candidate’s qualifications, including skills, competencies, education and experience.
As a condition of employment, Xencor requires all employees to have received a CDC authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen and at least one booster dose. New employees will be required to provide proof that at least two weeks have passed since their booster dose as of their start date unless an exemption or accommodation has been requested and approved.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Statement
The Company will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please contact HR@xencor.com.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Statement
The Company is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.
Xencor does not accept profiles or resumes from recruiting vendors without a binding written agreement. Any unsolicited submission of services and or resumes in no way creates an obligation or duty by Xencor, implied or otherwise.