Description:Temporary Position: Summer Internship Position will begin June 1, 2023 and end August 11, 2023 (40 hours per week).
Please Note: Interns are responsible for their own housing and transportation. We do not offer housing support however, if you live outside of Austin area and need assistance will housing referrals or housing search support, contact us at 512-475-5310.
About the Comptroller's Office
Innovation, collaboration, and a commitment to excellence best describes the culture here at the Comptroller's Office. We take pride in the work we do serving as Texas' accountant, tax collector, treasurer, and much more!
Our agency workforce is as diverse as the people of Texas we serve. We value our employees and take very seriously our collective commitment to public service. Personal development opportunities are strongly encouraged through available workshops, teambuilding exercises, and on the job training. We offer flexible scheduling that helps employees maintain a healthy work-life balance.
If you are seeking to gain knowledge, build your career, and network among goal-oriented professionals, this is the place for you!
Click here to see an inside look at the Texas Comptroller's office!
Operations & Support Legal Services
Performs complex (journey-level) legal research and analysis work for the Operations & Support Legal Services Division of the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts. Work involves examining and preparing legal documents, conducting research, providing assistance to attorneys, and evaluating documents for making recommendations to attorneys. Conducts legal research, evaluations, and makes recommendations on legal issues related to contracts, statewide procurements, open records, employment law, state ethics requirements, and general non-tax litigation. Assists with other special projects or performs other duties as assigned. Works under general supervision, with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Graduation from an accredited college or university and currently enrolled in an accredited law school seeking an LLB or JD degree.
Preferred Education:A minimum of one year of law school completed.
Experience:Legal research, writing and analysis.
Some post-college professional experience preferred.
In this role you will:
- Researches, evaluates, and makes recommendations on contract law issues impacting the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts. Assists attorneys in drafting contract provisions. Reviews and edits contracts, requests for proposals, transactional documents, and other documents for legal content, accuracy and legal compliance as needed. Evaluates legislation impacting contracts. Attends meetings with client divisions.
- Assists attorneys in providing legal support to the Statewide Procurement Division of the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts. Researches, evaluates and makes recommendations on statewide procurement policy issues. Reviews solicitations, proposal evaluations, awards, and related procurement documents. Evaluates legislation impacting statewide procurement. Attends meetings with clients.
- Researches, evaluates, and makes recommendations on issues related to the Public Information Act. Reviews information to determine whether information is confidential or public information. Assists attorneys in drafting letters to the Office of the Attorney General regarding claims of confidentiality for information. Assists the division in responding to public information requests. Evaluates legislation impacting the Public Information Act and records management. Researches issues related to state ethics laws. Attends meetings with client divisions.
- Assists Legal Counsel for Human Resources with researching, evaluating and developing recommendations on employment law issues, and providing legal support to the Human Resources Division of the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts.
- Assists Chief Counsel of General Litigation on issues related to general non-tax litigation. Evaluates cases and works with Comptroller staff and OAG to help develop claims and defenses as needed. Assists the Chief Counsel on issues affecting the agency's anti-fraud program.
To receive veteran's preference a copy of your DD214 (Member 4 Copy).
Veterans, Reservist or Guardsmen with an MOS in 27A, LN, 250X, LGL10, 4402, 51JX or additional duties that fall within the essential duties of the job position or other related fields pertaining to the minimum experience requirements may meet the minimum qualifications. All active duty, reservists, guardsmen, and veterans are encouraged to apply if they meet the qualifications for this position. Please call Human Resources, CPA Veterans Liaison at 512-475-3560/800-531-5441 for more information or assistance.
Go to http://www.texasskillstowork.com, http://www.onetonline.org, https://hr.sao.texas.gov/CompensationSystem/JobDescriptions/ or www.careeronestop.org for assistance translating your military experience and training courses into civilian job terms, qualifications/requirements and skill sets.
The Comptroller's Office is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity.