Description:At January, we work to ensure that borrowers who fall behind on debt are treated with dignity. Owing to outdated processes and bad actors, traditional debt collection is rife with harassment and fraud. Our products tackle this by helping financial institutions modernize collections, giving borrowers simpler and more compassionate ways to get back on track.
As January's Compliance Counsel, you will support January's efforts to become a category leader by thoughtfully and strategically navigating and minimizing risk. This role will focus on refining and managing our compliance program, collaborating with Product and Engineering on January's products and services, and managing our litigation strategy. Ultimately, your work will enhance trust with borrowers, clients, and numerous other stakeholders. You will report to our General Counsel.
- You will collaborate closely with numerous internal stakeholders, such as Engineering, Product, Account Management, Sales, and our leadership team, on product, operations, and company strategy.
- Oversee and collaborate on execution of compliance strategy, including compliance with debt collection regulations, data privacy laws, and rules that impact our new ideas. Develop and implement compliance initiatives and improve our internal audits that will enhance our compliance strategy with all rules, laws, and regulations that impact debt collection and future business lines.
- Manage compliance team and compliance vendors, risk-related policies, insurance coverage strategy, and compliance-related client inquiries
- Assist in the development of and present external communications
- Develop, leverage, and drive strategic and operational initiatives to support January's growth
You may be a fit if you:
- Have 7+ years of experience as an attorney with experience managing litigation and advising on regulatory compliance in the financial services industry, particularly debt collection and data privacy
- Are detail oriented, compliance requires attention to nuances.
- Thrive in ambiguity, you're creative when it comes to answering novel questions.
- Have an operational and process-oriented mindset, an appreciation that over time, superior processes lead to better outcomes.
- Have a willingness to get their hands dirty and gain exposure to all facets of our business.
- Are analytical and an effective decision-maker, you structure qualitative or quantitative data and draws business-guiding conclusions.
- Possess strong written and oral communication skills, having the ability to communicate with all stakeholders and team members, regardless of seniority and department.
- Are collaborative, you excel at working effectively with others, particularly cross-functionally
- Value accountability, holding yourself and others to high standards.
What we can offer you:
- Hybrid and remote work opportunities, allowing you to work in the office and from home on a schedule that works for you
- Pet-friendly office (only in NYC, for now!)
- Competitive equity packages, giving you a chance to feel true ownership of your work
- Unlimited PTO so you can take the time you need to rest and recharge
- Flexible work hours for better work/life balance
- Generous new parent leave program for all employees to enjoy bonding time
- Free lunches for team socializing activities
- Annual learning and development budget to invest in your professional growth
- 401k so you can invest in your future
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Free access to the mental well-being platform Spring Health plus 3 free virtual sessions with a Spring Health licensed therapist.
- Commuter benefits for your travel to/from the office
- Endless growth opportunity and the ability to take on new and exciting challenges
- Built In's Best Startups to Work For in New York (2023)
- Built In's Best Startups to Work For in San Francisco (2023)
- Crain's Best Places to Work in NYC (2022)
January believes in doing its part to help close the wage gap that continues to plague much of the US workforce. We offer transparent and equitable compensation packages to all existing and future January team members.
Our compensation range for the Compliance Officer role is $170,000-$215,000. We determine the final package by considering experience, applicable education and training, and relevant skills derived throughout our interview process.
This role also includes a competitive equity package, giving you a chance to feel true ownership of your work.
To learn more about what it's like to work with us, check out our Glassdoor reviews (https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Debtsy-Reviews-E3888570.htm). We think our track record speaks best.
January is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, disability, age, veteran status, or any other category protected by law.
At January, we believe that diversity of outlooks, demographics, identities, and life experiences enable companies to build the best products. More diversity means more empathy with different types of people. This matters a lot for us, since so many borrowers in financial distress with whom we engage come from underrepresented backgrounds. We practice what we preach and look forward to continuing to grow and build on our already diverse team.