If you are motivated and believe in the credit union philosophy of "People Helping People," join our team!
This is a Hybrid In-Office/Remote Position.
- Work closely with the members of the Regulatory Compliance team and Credit Union business lines to ensure the Credit Union is in compliance with applicable state and federal financial laws and regulations.
- Serve as direct resource for day-to-day questions presented by the Credit Union’s business lines.
- Assist the VP/Sr. Compliance Counsel and Managing Compliance Counsel through research and analysis of laws and regulations to counsel the Credit Union’s lines of business in identifying and implementing all applicable laws, rules, and regulations.
- Conduct research to assist the development of education training programs for the Credit Union’s business lines.
- Assist in the review of regulatory compliance monitoring and testing to identify and correct weaknesses and communicate deficiencies to senior management.
- Assist with in-depth root cause analysis of compliance deficiencies and assist in developing corrective action plans to remediate when appropriate.
- Conduct reviews of consumer-facing correspondence for compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Identify, monitor, track, and analyze proposed or pending financial legislation or regulations that may impact the Credit Union.
- Prepare analyses and formal interpretations of newly issued, amended or proposed regulations for various levels of Credit Union employees.
- Assist in the review and development of new products and programs to ensure compliance throughout the product lifecycle, including reviewing marketing materials for compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Review, revise, and make recommendations regarding the training curriculum for relevant employees.
- Assist in the completion of a compliance risk assessment for business lines and products as assigned.
- Provide periodic tracking and monitoring reports and corrective action reports to Managing Compliance Counsel.
- Maintain all necessary licenses as required for the position, including satisfying all continuing education requirements.
- Assist in gathering information and preparing responses to requests from regulators during regular examinations of the Credit Union.
- Mentor junior compliance staff.
- Assume other duties and responsibilities that are assigned.
- Four-year degree from an accredited college or university.
- Juris Doctor degree from accredited law school.
- License to practice law in North Carolina or able to obtain within a reasonable time.
- 1-3 years of compliance-related experience in a highly regulated financial institution (preferably a credit union) or a law firm with a thorough knowledge of industry, laws, rules and regulations.
- Highest level of integrity and objectivity to preserve independence.
- Strong organization skills and analytical ability.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to remain flexible and adapt to changing departmental demands.
- Ability to cooperate and collaborate with co-workers and be cordial in all interactions with co-workers and vendors.
- Dedication to SECU philosophy and work ethic.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must be able to speak and write English fluently.
- Must adhere to the work schedule and attendance policy established by manager.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience as a Compliance Counsel or counsel in a compliance-related field at a large credit union or bank, or as an attorney in a financial services law firm that provided direct and substantial compliance related services to credit unions, banks or financial institutions on a variety of consumer products and services.
- Detailed knowledge of and experience advising on consumer financial matters with a good knowledge of state and federal consumer protection regulations, including, but not limited to: TILA, RESPA, HMDA, FCRA, FDCPA, SCRA, SAFE Act, ECOA, TISA, Regulation DD, Regulation CC, EFTA, ESIGN, CDD Rule, and UDAAP.
- Detailed knowledge of and experience in dealing with both state and federal agency regulatory compliance examinations.
- Earned an industry-standard compliance certification, such as NAFCU’s NCCO, CUNA’s CUCE, or the ABA’s CRCM.
- Understanding of Credit Union business units and processes.
- Experience managing or mentoring junior compliance staff.
SECU provides equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other classification protected by law.
State Employees' Credit Union reserves the right to fill this role at a higher/lower level based on business need.