Description:From Fivetran's founding until now, our mission has remained the same: to make access to data as simple and reliable as electricity. With Fivetran, customer data arrives in their warehouses, canonical and ready to query, with no engineering or maintenance required. We're proud that more organizations continue to leverage our technology every day to become truly data-driven.
We're hiring for a Commercial Counsel!
Want to have an impact at one of the fastest-growing unicorn companies in the Bay Area? Join the Legal team at Fivetran! Fivetran was recently named to the Cloud 100 list as one of the hottest cloud software companies today. We're looking for a detail-oriented, outbound deal-focused commercial counsel to join our global SaaS company and growing legal team. This person will be a key team player supporting our rapidly growing go-to-market team, and can be based remotely, or out of either our Oakland or Denver offices (preferred).
What you'll work on: An unparalleled opportunity to bring not only your commercial contracts skills, but also your broader legal and business acumen to help us put in place processes that efficiently scale for the long term. This is a critical role that will grow with the business, and advise on broad-based areas of risk and opportunity.
Responsibilities may include:
- Reviewing, marking up, and approving customer agreements, like NDAs, MSAs, etc., data privacy-related agreements, and vendor agreements;
- Developing and implementing scalable processes for the legal team;
- Updating playbooks to help drive alignment across the company on how we think about each of the types of agreements (and business relationships) that come across your desk;
- Collaborating on a wide range of commercial, privacy and other legal issues that shape Fivetran and the data integration space;
- Assisting with upkeep of key template documents, including periodic revisions and improvements, and helping operationalize templates into our contracts management and automation tool (Ironclad);
- Serving as a legal team point of contact to our entrepreneurial sales team, and helping develop and implement sales team education, training and communications related to any changes (or top tips and tricks) on our customer and vendor agreements;
- Focusing on our terms of service approach from a practical and strategic angle, and reviewing and revising our various terms of service from time to time;
- Other special projects given your interest areas and the needs of a rapidly scaling company & team
What We're Looking For:
- A process and detail-oriented commercial counsel who can practice both within the four corners of an agreement, and outside of it.
- A proactive, can-do approach to commercial counseling that recognizes this is a revenue-generating role, helping to responsibly grow the business;
- 3-5 years of experience in a law firm and/or in-house (preferred) drafting, negotiating and advising on commercial and technology matters
- A firm understanding of commercial terms attendant to SaaS and on-premises software transactions, including risk shifting provisions, security, privacy and other commonly negotiated provisions;
- Exposure to international commercial negotiations in EMEA and APAC is a plus;
- The ability to issue spot and assess legal risks and communicate both to business partners in straight forward terms (non-legalese);
- Excellent bedside manner with internal and external clients is essential;
- Cross-functional experience working with stakeholders such as Finance, Security or Privacy on contract requirements;
- The ability to thrive in an ever-changing environment that's filled with ambiguity and to independently manage multiple projects with competing deadlines;
- A belief and practice that no task is too big or too small;
- High attention to detail;
- A customer service orientation;
- Curiosity that drives a desire to learn new contexts and communication styles;
- Comfort with fast-paced environments and openness to change;
- A healthy sense of humor;
- JD and admitted to practice in at least one jurisdiction, with eligibility to become a registered in-house counsel in either California or Colorado
Bonus: Demonstrated experience and interest in data and privacy