Description:We are seeking a Commercial Counsel to join our Product and Commercial, Legal team to support Gusto’s Infrastructure-as-a-Service products, including Gusto Embedded Payroll. Gusto’s mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life and to build a better ecosystem for small businesses and their employees. To date, Gusto’s platform has been integrated with and through partners in limited ways. Gusto Embedded Payroll allows us to bring our People Platform to thousands more businesses than those we serve directly and will play a key role in Gusto’s growth. In this newly created position, you will draft, review, and negotiate our IaaS partnership agreements, support our Business Development teams through the creation of playbooks and trainings, and otherwise advise and enable the commercial aspects of Gusto’s first-ever IaaS product. If this sounds appealing and you shine in a fast-paced environment and thrive on the success of a job well done, let’s chat!
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Draft, review, and negotiate strategic partnership agreements (LOIs, MSAs, and SOWs) on behalf of our Embedded Payroll business division.
- Build scalable and effective processes for the deal process, including through the creation and maintenance of playbooks, contract templates, and training.
- Identify and evaluate both business and legal risks, and find creative solutions to mitigate them while achieving business goals.
Here’s what we're looking for:
- JD degree and a member of a State Bar/active license to practice law.
- 5+ years of combined legal experience in a technology transactions department at a law firm and an in-house legal department with a high-growth technology company.
- Experience drafting and negotiating IaaS, SaaS, hosted, and enterprise agreements.
- Experience acting as a strategic partner to business and product teams.
- Experience supporting and empowering account executives throughout the commercial negotiation process.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and advance several deals simultaneously, often on tight deadlines
- Attention to detail and the ability to follow through in a fast-paced environment.
- A team player mindset (no job is too big or too small).
- A collaborative approach and demonstrated ability to work well under pressure, cross-functionally, and independently.
- Familiarity working within the highly regulated payments or financial services industries.
- History of supporting highly regulated industries, such as financial services, payroll/tax SaaS, health care, etc.
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $152,000 - $181,000 in Denver & most remote locations, and $185,000 - $212,000 for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.