Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
$133,400.00 - $220,200.00
What Is the Opportunity?
Travelers offers the strength of a national legal organization committed to your professional development while maintaining a local focus so you can be positioned as a strong legal advocate and valued business partner.
As a Sr. Counsel, Practice Group Leader you will be responsible for independently handling a caseload of higher exposure and more complex cases in the Subrogation product line and leveraging in-depth knowledge and expertise in providing a broad range of high of quality legal services to Travelers and its insureds.
The Practice Group Leader will also be responsible for leading litigation and/or trial teams on cases of significant exposure.
The Practice Group Leader will also be responsible for providing strategic leadership, oversight, and mentoring to lawyers in Subrogation across the state of California while working collaboratively with Claim business partners and office management in that product line to ensure mutual success.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
What Will You Do?
- Independently handles complex litigation and/or large exposure cases from case inception through trial/resolution.
- Assist and/or oversee other attorneys and litigation teams to assure attorney files are appropriately developed and prepared for trial.
- May participate in trial and litigation roundtable discussions to assist with trial and resolution strategies
- May lead or assist other attorney/legal teams with trials.
- Assist law office management with providing strategic leadership, oversight, and mentoring to lawyers in designated product line(s).
- May partner and collaborate with other staff counsel Line Leads, colleagues and offices to develop and deliver optimal case resolution/trial strategies.
- Advises management on alternatives, outcomes and legal actions which could have a sizable impact on company business and future operations.
- Takes a leadership role in working collaboratively with claim and business partners to achieve results and identify/resolve issues.
- Acts as a mentor and coach to other attorneys and paralegals/staff.
- Provide ongoing input to Managing Counsel on performance of attorneys and performance of the office within a line of business or group, including Performance Management Review.
- Provides internal and external training, seminars and legal updates to insured clients and claim partners.
- Initiates special projects and identifies opportunities to support office goals/business needs.
- Strong and persuasive oral advocacy, negotiation, research and writing skills
- Exceptional legal acumen including in-depth knowledge of the law, bench, bar, local jurisdictional practices and the litigation process
- Strong technical knowledge in the practice area(s) and the ability to comprehend, assimilate and communicate complex information
- Proven track record of case results favorable to outside counsel.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- 15+ years of prior trial experience in the designated practice areas strongly preferred.
- Prior experience at the Senior Counsel, Senior Associate, or Partner preferred.
- Prior experience in mentoring others, leading litigation and/or trial teams, and providing case oversight and direction setting.
What is a Must Have?
- Juris Doctorate; graduate of an accredited law school.
- Minimum of 10 years of prior legal experience including trials in high exposure matters in relevant practice areas. Proven track record of case results.
- Active license to practice law in the state(s) in which representation is regularly required.
- Regularly attend trials and depositions and have the ability to transport to those meetings.
- Board Certification as Civil Trial Attorney, if applicable
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members – including spouses, domestic partners, and children – are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you’re eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that we can deliver the very best products and services when our workforce reflects the diverse customers and communities we serve. We are committed to recruiting, retaining and developing the diverse talent of all of our employees and fostering an inclusive workplace, where we celebrate differences, promote belonging, and work together to deliver extraordinary results.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.