The AVP, Associate General Counsel position will provide legal assistance to the Programs Division, focusing on Casualty, Property and Inland Marine, and Professional Lines of business. It will provide day-to-day support for the business, including product development, and related compliance support on surplus lines and admitted business. The lines of business include, but are not limited to: Commercial General Liability (including primary, umbrella and excess), Commercial Automobile Liability, Property and Inland Marine, Directors & Officers Liability, Errors & Omissions Liability, and Cyber Liability.
- Serve as legal counsel to underwriters by providing advice and guidance regarding policy interpretation, claim trends and insurance laws and regulations.
- Develop and draft/revise a variety of documents, including, but not limited to, new insurance policies, endorsements, applications and related materials.
- Support the continuous improvement of standard form agreements and legal processes and assist in the development and implementation of company policies and procedures.
- Aid underwriters in responding to coverage requests.
- Prepare responses to state insurance departments regarding objections to filed policies and endorsements.
- Apprise underwriters of judicial and legislative developments affecting their lines of business.
- Law degree and admission in at least one state.
- 3-5 years of legal experience.
- In-house or law firm insurance coverage experience required.
- Product development and coverage issues experience required.
- Ability to work independently and meet short deadlines.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Candidates should have strong analytical and technical skill sets.
- Candidates should have the ability to quickly understand key business issues and operational objectives.
- Candidates should be effective and confident communicators of complex messages (written and oral) to both internal and external audiences.