LPL Financial seeks an experienced attorney to join its corporate legal advice team as Assistant Vice President, Associate Counsel. This AVP will report to a Senior Vice President responsible for providing strategic legal advice to various business units. This team focuses primarily on the LPL’s broker-dealer business but also provides support to the investment advisory business as well. This position entails advising LPL’s (1) Business Development Unit; (2) Corporate Transaction and M&A team; and (3) RIA affiliation and custodial platforms.
The ideal candidate is one who can thrive in a fast paced business environment and can manage a substantial docket autonomously. Relevant private practice experience is highly desired. Prior in-house counsel experience preferred but not required.
- Day-to-day legal support for LPL’s financial services business, including providing legal analysis and advice with respect to applicable rules, regulations and legal risk relating to the brokerage and investment advisory business.
- Work with a senior attorney on internal merger and acquisition projects, development and maintenance of LPL’s custodial platform for registered investment advisers, and business development initiatives.
- Drafting and modifying client agreements, account documentation and disclosures, and filings with regulators. Performing legal research and drafting memorandums concerning compliance with applicable laws, rules and regulations.
- Interacting with other members of the Legal Department as well as other LPL units including, amongst other departments, Compliance and Risk.
This position requires excellent communication skills, both verbal and written. The candidate must demonstrate keen strategic thinking, and have excellent analytical, project management and time management abilities. The candidate will be expected to perform thorough legal research and document such analyses and conclusions. Presentation skills are also highly important.
- 2 to 6 years or more of experience in dealing with issues arising under the Securities Exchange Act, Investment Advisers Act of 1940, Investment Company Act of 1940, FINRA rules and regulations as well as related federal and state securities laws.
- 1 to 3 years of transactional experience specifically in mergers and acquisitions, securities transactions, non-disclosure agreements, etc. preferred.
- Ability to interface effectively with investment personnel as well as LPL advisors, clients and their counsel.
- Proficiency in legal writing, performing legal research (LexisNexis preferred) and written communication skills.
- Understanding of regulatory landscape applicable to broker-dealers and registered investment advisers, including a familiarity with regulatory processes (SEC and FINRA).
- Experience with FINRA continuing membership applications, prior work at or for a clearing firm or custodian, and an understanding of the SEC Custodial Rule and Customer Protection Rule is highly preferred but not required.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills, attention to detail, and effective time management
- Proven ability to handle highly confidential information professionally and with appropriate discretion
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Highly-motivated self-starter able to work independently while collaborating and coordinating as part of a global program
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and team-player attitude
- Ability to understand and assess a wide variety of complex commercial transactions
- Sound judgment and an ability to appropriately escalate issues internally
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and the ability to provide viable solutions in a time-sensitive environment