The lawyer in this position will be part of a five-person team that provides legal support for all aspects of the biomedical research and technology transfer activities of Mass General Brigham Incorporated and its affiliated hospitals. The primary areas of responsibility for this attorney will include negotiating and drafting complex agreements with industry collaborators and licensees, supporting research misconduct investigations, and providing legal support to research contracting offices and investigators engaged in pre-clinical and human subjects research activities. This attorney will also coordinate legal guidance from internal and external subject matter experts on regulatory compliance issues specific to not-for-profit academic medical centers.
The Research and Technology Section is a highly collaborative and collegial team of individuals dedicated to supporting the research, clinical, and academic staff members who create innovative technologies that improve patient care. The work is challenging, rewarding, and ever-changing.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drafting and negotiating institutional service agreements, research collaboration agreements, intellectual property licenses
- Connecting business requirements and needs with legal strategy
- Analyzing and interpreting contracts and addressing risk factors
- Monitor research misconduct investigations and ensure compliance with applicable regulations and policy
- Advise and support basic and clinical research, compliance and administrative offices on contracting matters and compliance with research-related laws, regulations, and policies
- Interpret laws, rulings and regulations for the organization and keep up to date with current developments in areas of responsibility
- Work with and manage outside counsel representing the organization
- J.D. from a highly ranked, ABA-approved law school, licensed in Massachusetts, with approximately 3 years of relevant experience preferably in the health care, intellectual property or business transaction department of a highly ranked law firm or comparably challenging in-house environment. Experience representing Academic Medical Centers, large pharma or medical device companies is a plus.
- The ideal candidate will have a strong academic background, exceptional verbal and written communication skills, outstanding attention to detail, and the flexibility to work independently or as a member of a team.
- The ability to draw reasonable conclusions from limited information, while recognizing what additional information is needed and how to get it.
- Proven multitasking skills and the willingness to take on any project, big or small.
- Passionate about the Mass General Brigham mission.