Closing Date: 4th December, 2023
Description:Only applicants who meet the Minimum Qualification Requirements and meet all selective requirements (listed below) will be placed on the eligible list.
The Department of Natural Resources encourages all applicants to upload a current resume and cover letter to their online application.
Are you passionate about conserving and protecting natural resources and the environment? If so, the Iowa Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is hiring an attorney to do exactly that! DNR protects the environment and manages the state's natural resources on behalf of the people. This important and rewarding work improves the quality of life in Iowa and ensures a legacy for future generations. If you want a career with excellent work/life balance and a gratifying and dynamic legal practice – this is the right position for you.
DNR seeks an attorney who is inquisitive, pro-active, disciplined, team-orientated, and self-sufficient. Your practice will be diverse and complex and include the following tasks:
- Enforce state and federal natural resources conservation, management, and outdoor recreation laws and rules
- Review and evaluate alleged violations; conduct investigations to obtain facts
- Prepare administrative orders and conduct settlement discussions
- Represent the Department in contested cases, which includes performing all preparatory discovery functions and leading the litigation; as well as handling subsequent appeals or reviews before the Natural Resource Commission
- Provide legal and policy advice to staff and management
- Prepare for and participate with the Iowa Attorney General's Office and/or county attorney's offices in litigation relating to natural resource conservation and management programs and outdoor recreation laws
- Assist with drafting administrative rules and ensure procedural and substantive compliance with the Iowa Administrative Procedure Act and underlying enabling laws
- Research, draft, and review legislation; assist the Department's legislative liaison
- Write and review contracts and agreements, and other similar documents as necessary to execute the Department's mission
- Respond to the general public's questions on Iowa's natural resource conservation, management, and outdoor recreation laws
- Serve as general counsel to the DNR's Wildlife Bureau; Parks, Forests, and Preserves Bureau; and Law Enforcement Bureau.
The Wildlife Bureau is responsible for managing Iowa's wildlife held in trust for the public; maintaining and enhancing wildlife habitat on public lands and waters; advising the public on wildlife habitat development and improvement on private lands, including the development and protection of woodlands and timber stands on private lands; and conducting research for the purpose of setting hunting and trapping seasons and to ensure biological balanceof all of Iowa's wildlife.
The Parks, Forest, and Preserves Bureau manages Iowa's state parks, recreation areas, and state forests. The bureau operates and maintains park, recreation area, and state forest infrastructure and facilities, such as multiuse trails, beaches, campgrounds, picnic areas, lodges, shelters, and cabins; protects and manages the natural resources inside such areas, including wildlife, wildlife habitat, and woodlands and timber stands; monitors concession operators; provides naturalist activities and other outreach education programs; and enforces Iowa's natural resource conservation and outdoor recreation laws.
The Law Enforcement Bureau is responsible for enforcing Iowa's natural resource conservation and outdoor recreation laws. Other activities include assisting in wildlife and fisheries scientific surveys; providing hunter, boating, and all-terrain vehicle/snowmobile safety training and other outreach education programs; and supervising Iowa's private shooting preserves.
Skills needed / preferred:
- At least 2 years of full-time work in the practice of law
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Project and time management
- Positive and professional demeanor
Applicants are strongly encouraged to attach a resume and cover Letter to the online application.
Note: The DNR is also hiring an Attorney 2 to assist with natural resources conservation, management, and outdoor recreation. Applicants are encouraged to apply for one or both opportunities. If you wish to be considered for both positions, you must apply to each individually. Please personalize your cover letter to indicate your interest in one or both positions.
- Read, analyze, and understand State and Federal regulations, administrative rules, and procedures - and apply them as required.
- Conduct legal research and give legal advice in both oral and written formats.
- Conduct meetings, negotiations and lead investigations.
- Draft legal documents applying knowledge of administrative and civil procedure, law and rules of evidence.
- Manage client needs and matters and overall case load with professionalism, discretion, and integrity.
- Familiarity with computerized legal research skills
Critical Job Competencies
Position Specific Competencies: Accountability, Attention to Detail, Common Sense, Communication Skills, Computer Skills, Critical Thinking and Reasoning, Customer Focus, Negotiation Skills, Self-Management, Team Player, Technical
This position offers a competitive salary schedule and benefit package. The State of Iowa is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. The starting salary for new state (Executive Branch) employees is expected to be at the base of the pay range. Additional salary increases may occur after the first six months, and then annually (if applicable). The State's total compensation package features an outstanding set of employee benefits that are worth about 30% of your total compensation. Visit the DAS website for more benefit information.
For more information about DNR Employment Opportunities and position specific notices, please visit the DNR Employment (https://www.iowadnr.gov/About-DNR/Employment) website.
The State of Iowa is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
The DNR seeks to hire individuals who wish to support our mission, which is to conserve and enhance our natural resources in cooperation with individuals and organization, to improve the quality of life in Iowa and ensure a legacy for future generations.
Law Degree Possession of a law degree from an accredited institution.
Minimum Qualification Requirements:
Applicants must meet at least one of the following minimum requirements to qualify for positions in this job classification:
- Graduation from an accredited school of law, and experience equal to two years of full-time work in the practice of law; not including experience as a law clerk.
- Current, continuous experience in the state executive branch that includes eighteen months of full-time work with the employing agency in the practice of law; not including experience as a law clerk.
For additional information, please click on this link to view the job description (https://das.iowa.gov/sites/default/files/hr/documents/class_and_pay/JobClassDescriptions/Attorney2-00644.pdf). (Download PDF reader (https://get.adobe.com/reader/))
Additional Qualification Requirements
Within a period of time after hire, as determined by the appointing authority, employees in this class may be required to be admitted to the Iowa State Bar if required at the time of appointment.