Description:What will you do?
This position will support the Chromatography & Mass Spectrometry and the Materials and Structural Analysis divisions of the Analytical Instruments Group. The candidate will work on a diverse set of legal matters such as protection of IP, freedom-to-operate, licensing, IP-related contracts, European oppositions, and dispute resolution.
This role requires a strategic approach, critical thinking, a strong technical background, perceptive skills in drafting / prosecuting patents and experience applying IP in a business context. You will be part of an impactful IP team that prides itself on delivering strong, defensible patents and thoughtful counseling solutions. You should be comfortable in an evolving and fast paced environment, love solving problems, thrive in a technically diverse environment, and above all be passionate about diversity of thought.
- Work directly with diverse R&D teams located around the globe to build an IP-savvy culture.
- Prepare and prosecute high-quality patent applications that provide an advantage in the marketplace.
- Formulate & deliver legal and strategic IP guidance to management, engineers and other organizational leadership.
- Conduct in-depth analysis of competitor and industry IP portfolios; lead and improve processes for tracking innovations and competitor IP activity.
- Navigate freedom-to-operate issues.
- Review IP aspects of commercial agreements and advise on desired changes to benefit the goals of the business.
- Support strategic priorities, translate them in concrete projects & work closely with teams across the divisions to deliver on execution at its highest potential.
How Will You Get Here?
Required Experience and Skills:
- Experience preparing and successfully prosecuting U.S. and International patent applications.
- Familiarity in counseling business leaders on sophisticated IP matters.
- Engineering or scientific degree in a field related to analytical instrumentation.
- Admission to a state bar and registration to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Law firm Associates are strongly encouraged to apply!
The successful candidate will have the following characteristics:
- Business Perspective - Ability to learn and understand business drivers.
- Self-motivated / driven to succeed - High level of initiative and ability to work autonomously. Must strive to consistently go above and beyond and look for opportunities to improve on existing processes or methods.
- Team oriented / strong interpersonal skills - Must be comfortable working in dynamic and diverse multi-national teams.
- Effective communicator - Ability to communicate efficiently across teams, functions and global regions. Skilled trainer with the ability to clearly convey concepts in an engaging manner.
- Possess a strong sense of ethics and integrity.
- Strong strategic problem solver and logical problem-solver.
- Inventive and innovative approach. Comfortable venturing into unknown territory and learning about new topics/technologies in order to find solutions for the IP and business teams.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where the world is Healthier, Cleaner and Safer. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, then let's move the world forward, together.