Why Join FCS
At Florida Cancer Specialists & Research Institute, we believe our people are our strength and we invest in them. In addition to having a positive impact on the people and communities we serve, associates benefit from significant professional opportunities, career advancement, training and competitive wages.
Offering competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits packages to include loan repayment, tuition reimbursement, 401-K match, pet and legal insurance.
A Little Bit About FCS
Since 1984, Florida Cancer Specialists & Research Institute & Research Institute (FCS) has built a national reputation for excellence. With over 250 physicians, 220 nurse practitioners and physician assistants and nearly 100 locations in our network. Utilizing innovative clinical research, cutting-edge technologies, and advanced treatments, we are committed to providing world-class cancer care. We are recognized by the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) with a national Clinical Trials Participation Award, FCS offers patients access to more clinical trials than any private oncology practice in Florida. Our patients have access to ground-breaking therapies, in a community setting, and may participate in national clinical research studies of drugs and treatment protocols. In the past five years, the majority of new cancer drugs approved for use in the U.S. were studied in clinical trials with FCS participation prior to approval.
Through our partnership with Sarah Cannon, we are one of the largest clinical research organizations in the United States. Often, FCS leads the nation in initiating research studies and offering ground-breaking new therapies to patients.
Come join us today!
Job Description Summary:
- Reporting to the Chief Legal Officer (CLO), the Deputy General Counsel (DGC) will take a leadership role in the management and continuous improvement of the Legal Department.
- The DGC will partner with the CLO in managing the Legal Department operations, including but not limited to process improvement initiatives, system implementation efforts, and department performance metric tracking.
- Under the direction of the CLO, the DGC will provide advice and support on various legal matters including general business and health care law.
- Will provide advice and support on a broad range of business and transactional matters including regulatory and compliance issues.
- Responsibilities include (i) management of Legal Department operations, (ii) mentoring attorneys in the Legal Department, and (iii) drafting various agreements, including physician employment and compensation agreements, professional services agreements, merger and acquisition transaction agreements, and other contracts.
Education: Juris Doctor (JD) degree required.
- Minimum 15 years’ experience specializing in health care law.
- A member in good standing with the Florida Bar or eligible for a Florida in-house counsel license.
- Depth of knowledge and understanding of the Stark Law, Anti-Kickback Statute, Medicare conditions of participation, federal and state licensing requirements, and HIPAA is required.
- Prior in-house experience required.
- Demonstrated management and process improvement skills required.
- Strong academic credentials, excellent writing and verbal communication skills, and the ability to interact with executive and senior management are required.
- Experience with complex IT agreements, clinical research, drug procurement, employment law, real estate leasing, and managed care contracting preferred.
- Knowledge of Word, Outlook, SharePoint and MediTract considered preferred.
- Prior M&A experience preferred.
- Analysis & Critical Thinking: Critical thinking skills including solid problem solving, analysis, decision-making, planning, time management and organizational skills.
- Must be detailed oriented with the ability to exercise independent judgment.
- Interpersonal Effectiveness: Developed interpersonal skills, emotional intelligence, diplomacy, tact, conflict management, delegation skills, and diversity awareness.
- Ability to work effectively with sensitive and confidential material and sometimes emotionally charged matters.
- Communication Skills: Good command of the English language.
- Second language is an asset but not required.
- Effective communication skills (oral, written, presentation), is an active listener, and effectively provides balanced feedback.
- Customer Service & Organizational Awareness: Strong customer focus.
- Ability to build an engaging culture of quality, performance effectiveness and operational excellence through best practices, strong business and political acumen, collaboration and partnerships, as well as a positive employee, physician and community relations.
- Self-Management: Effectively manages own time, conflicting priorities, self, stress, and professional development. Self-motivated and self-starter with ability work independently with limited supervision.
- Ability to work remotely effectively as required. Must be able to work effectively in a fast-paced, multi-site environment with demonstrated ability to juggle competing priorities and demands from a variety of stakeholders and sites.
- Computer Skills: Proficiency in MS Office Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook required.
Standard Core Workdays/Hours: Monday to Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM.
To give equal employment and advancement opportunities to all people, we make employment decisions at FCS based on each person's performance, qualifications, and abilities. FCS does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless making the reasonable accommodation would result in an undue hardship to FCS. Our Equal Employment Opportunity policy covers all employment practices, including selection, job assignment, compensation, discipline, termination, and access to benefits and training. If you have a question about any type of discrimination at work, contact the Manager of Human Resources or the VP of Human Resources. You will not be punished for asking questions about this. Also, if we find out that anyone was illegally discriminating, that person will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
Screenings – Background, drug, and nicotine screens
Safeguarding our patients and each other is an important part of how we deliver the best care possible to the communities we serve. All offers of employment at Florida Cancer Specialists & Research Institute are contingent upon clear results of a thorough background screening. Additionally, as a condition of employment, FCS requires all new hires to receive various vaccinations, including the influenza and COVID-19 vaccines, barring an approved exemption. In addition, FCS is a drug-free workplace, and all new hires will be subject to drug/ nicotine testing.