Description:Marcum LLP offers a great career with exceptional benefits.
There's a lot to think about when it comes to launching your accounting career. At Marcum, we offer you a world of opportunity, a highly competitive salary, exceptional benefits, flexible work options, and industry-leading technology, all within an environment that values your contributions and supports your professional growth.
At Marcum, eligible associates receive a benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision insurance, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, and transit benefits, as well as paid time off, a 401(k) plan with an employer contribution, and a profit sharing plan.
Marcum LLP is seeking a Corporate/M&A transactional lawyer to join our growing and well-established national firm and the position may be based in NY, NJ, CT or PA. This position requires a high-energy, experienced professional, with strong interpersonal skills, ability to work independently and with a team, along with a strong desire to be willing to take on new challenges and responsibilities in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
Job Posting DescriptionMarcum LLP seeks to hire a proactive, business-oriented corporate, commercial transaction attorney for a Counsel position within the Office of General Counsel to handle M&A transactions entered into by Marcum, including acquisitions, joint ventures and equity investments. The M&A role will include drafting, reviewing and negotiating term sheets, purchase agreements, LLC/operating/shareholder agreements and ancillary agreements and related documents; coordinating with internal specialists and stakeholders; managing due diligence processes; and advise on and handle general corporate matters pertaining to Marcum and its subsidiaries, including entity formation, ongoing entity management. Responsibilities will sometimes include reviewing, revising and negotiating professional services, vendor and technology related agreements for the firm. Duties and responsibilities will expand as the individual demonstrates a robust understanding of Marcum LLP's business and the ability to manage business risk. Using a broad knowledge base to assess and mitigate risk, you will play an important role in negotiating the firm's contracts, shaping policies and processes to help the Legal Department scale as Marcum continues to grow, and to drive important initiatives relating to commercial contracting, procurement, data protection and other practice developments. This exciting position can be based out of multiple office locations.
Qualifications:Members of Marcum's Office of General Counsel work in a high-volume, dynamic, and diverse environment with rapidly shifting priorities, focused on successful deal-making and risk management. This position will have exposure to Marcum's leadership, partners, clients and vendors (and their counsel), and all Marcum business and operations functions. Counsel must manage firm risk and learn industry and general firm practices in a wide variety of areas. Counsel must also familiarize themselves with the professional services industry and understand Marcum's multiple service lines, businesses and products in detailed.
A successful candidate will be a leader capable of developing and maintaining close working relationships with the firm's business leaders while effectively responding directly to demanding external client and vendor requirements. Initiative is required, as are strong negotiation and communication skills leading to the successful closure of diverse corporate M&A and commercial transactions. The Marcum Legal Department manages a large volume of requests, and candidates will need the ability to manage a substantial workload with changing priorities. You must be self-motivated with demonstrated ability to take initiative and make decisions.
Candidates must be well organized and able to meet deadlines, while possessing sound business judgment, discretion, flexibility, a willingness to learn, and superior writing and verbal communication skills. Candidates must be team oriented and unafraid of rolling up their sleeves to take on tasks as needed. Enthusiasm for learning new technology and strong knowledge of Microsoft Office are required. Additional experience that will be helpful for this role – but is not required – includes M&A experience with professional services firm (i.e., acquisitions and divestitures of accounting or consulting practices), reviewing engagement letters, MSAs, NDAs and other commercial agreements with corporates and/or state or federal governmental entities, assessing governmental compliance capability; working in consulting, professional services, accounting, or financial regulatory sectors; and advising on a range of intellectual property matters as they relate to marketing, trade secrets, licensing, patents, and copyright; and familiarity with privacy laws.
Candidates must have a Juris Doctor from a national law school, be licensed to practice law in at least one jurisdiction and at least six to seven years of relevant experience in a law firm and be admitted to a state bar in good standing.
Strong academic credentials and a stable work history are preferred.
Candidates must have ability to independently research and analyze issues, provide clear guidance to internal clients regarding potential legal risk and the ability to think strategically and to appreciate the business impacts of different legal courses of action. Exceptional verbal and written communication skills are required. Candidates must have excellent interpersonal and organizational skills in interacting with, and inspiring confidence in, individuals at all levels of the organization. The ability to prioritize multiple competing priorities. See Requirements below.
- JD Degree and member of NY State Bar in good standing.
- Minimum 7 years M&A legal experience at a major law firm or as part of an in-house legal team.
- Strong core corporate experience in M&A transactions (acquisitions/divestitures) with professional services firms and/or private equity experience preferred.
- Demonstrated sophisticated transactional experience drafting, negotiating and advising on corporate transaction (acquisitions/divestitures) and commercial transactions, including asset purchase agreements and related documents, MSAs, engagement letters, subcontract agreements, NDAs, vendor and alliance agreements, technology-related agreements (e.g., software license, reseller, SAAS etc.)
- Experience with financing transactions including credit facilities, equipment lease and other financing transactions
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation and drafting skills (including ability to offer creative solutions) and clear and effective written and oral communication skills required. Must be highly organized to be able to handle high volume of work in fast paced environment, detail oriented and a team player.
- Teamplayer with sense of humor and strong work ethic who is comfortable working in a dynamic environment and collaborating with various internal teams
- Pragmatic mindset towards balancing risk management and supporting fast paced growth and innovation
- Proven ability to provide timely, effective, and strategic legal advice in a fast-paced environment
- Flexibility to adapt and thrive in an environment that is constantly changing with an ability to prioritize and re-prioritize based upon the needs of the business
- High level of personal integrity and professionalism
- It is a plus if you have securities law and/or employment law knowledge but not required
- Title commensurate with experience
Marcum LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Marcum LLP does not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, national origin, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other protected classification under the law.
Are you a search or recruiting firm interested in becoming a preferred recruitment agency? Click here to learn more.
For job requisitions posted to certain locations, Marcum LLP is required by law to include a reasonable estimate of the compensation range. This compensation range is specific to certain locations and takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to skill sets; experience and training; licensure and certifications; and other business and organizational needs.