Description:Background & Purpose of the Job:
This is an opportunity to join one of the World's leading consumer products companies – one regularly rated as among the most admired, most innovative, and most socially responsible multinational enterprises. Unilever plc, headquartered in historic Unilever House in London, employs 150,000 professionals, and operates in more than 190 countries around the world. Unilever has been doing business for nearly a century, and its brands include some of the most iconic and beloved names in personal care, home care, beauty, and nutrition, including Dove, Hellman's, Knorr, Ben & Jerry's, Magnum and more. Our brands are used by 3.4 billion consumers every day. Unilever is a purpose-led, future fit organization with an unparalleled commitment to sustainability and superior performance.
Unilever's legal function plays a critical role in the company's continued success. Serving as professional advisors, gatekeepers, and strategic business partners, Unilever's legal team enables the company to be fearless and act with confidence, speed, and agility. The legal function has a wide range of subject matter expertise who collectively guide Unilever's business groups and functions on laws, regulations, and Unilever's Code of Business Principles.
Who You Are & What You'll Do:
Substantial litigation experience is a key requirement for the Associate General Counsel (“AGC”), Global Litigation position. Primary responsibilities are to advise and represent the company across a range of complex commercial disputes in any or all of Unilever's businesses. Although the emphasis will be on disputes in the US, the UK and EU, the AGC may be assigned responsibility for managing litigation and arbitration matters globally.
The position reports into the Global Head of Litigation. Remote or hybrid work will be considered. Proximity to Unilever's U.S. headquarters in Englewood Cliffs, NJ is desirable.
What You'll Need to Succeed:
- Provide advice concerning pre-litigation commercial disputes
- Provide advice regarding avoidance or initiation of litigation or arbitration as appropriate
- Develop and implement affirmative litigation strategies
- Represent and defend the company in litigation as well as arbitration and mediation
- Select and supervise outside counsel
- In conjunction with outside counsel, develop strategy and tactics to drive optimal results in adversarial proceedings
- Retain and manage experts to support and/or testify in litigation matters
- Negotiate fee arrangements and manage budgets in order to deliver optimal results and save on legal costs
- Respond to third-party subpoenas
- Partner with business and functional leaders across the company to identify and mitigate litigation risks
- At least 8 years of experience as a practicing attorney
- Extensive commercial litigation experience
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to think analytically and grapple with complexity
- Ability effectively to manage multiple demanding matters simultaneously
- Ability to work collaboratively with a range of stakeholders across Unilever and with outside counsel
- Outstanding judgment, business acumen, and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision
- A ‘customer service' mindset
- Unyielding commitment to integrity
- Experience in consumer products, health, nutrition, beauty, and home care
- Class action experience
- Significant pretrial, trial, appellate and arbitration experience
- International litigation experience
- Experience working or negotiating with government, regulatory and administrative agencies and bodies
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally
- Foreign language abilities
- Proficiency in Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Experience managing outside counsel, negotiating fee agreements, and budgeting
- Strong project management skills and eagerness to take on non-litigation projects to drive overall improvement of the legal department and the global litigation group
- Passion, curiosity, creativity, flexibility, tenacity, and a sense of humor
What we can offer you:
Culture for Growth | Top Notch Employee Health & Well Being Benefits | Every Voice Matters | Global Reach | Unilever: Life | LinkedIn | Strategy | Unilever | Why work for Unilever | Careers at Unilever | Unilever Global Website | Check Out Our Space
Pay: The pay range for this position is $200,600 to $401,200. Unilever takes into consideration a wide range of factors that are utilized in making compensation decisions including, but not limited to, skill sets, experience and training, licensure and certifications, qualifications and education, and other business and organizational needs.
Bonus: This position is bonus eligible.
Long-Term Incentive (LTI): This position is LTI eligible.
Benefits: Unilever employees are eligible to participate in our benefits plan. Should the employee choose to participate, they can choose from a range of benefits to include, but is not limited to, health insurance (including prescription drug, dental, and vision coverage), retirement savings benefits, life insurance and disability benefits, parental leave, sick leave, paid vacation and holidays, as well as access to numerous voluntary benefits. Any coverages for health insurance and retirement benefits will be in accordance with the terms and conditions of the applicable plans and associated governing plan documents