Responsibilities for this position may include, but are not limited to:
- Negotiating contract terms and conditions for sale and procurement of goods and services.
- Providing high-quality, effective legal counsel:
- in support of suppliers and contractors to the energy industry, including oil, natural gas, and renewable resources.
- regarding key principles of commercial and legal risk management within the environment of oil and gas exploration and production, and development of renewable energy sources.
- regarding general principles of insurance contracts, litigation, and claims management.
- Oversight of corporate subsidiaries, including formation of foreign subsidiaries and joint ventures, and related compliance issues.
- Drafting and comprehensive review of transactional documents, performing due diligence and/or managing outside counsel with respect to mergers/acquisitions and other strategic business transactions.
- Assisting with intellectual property, real estate, environmental and human resources matters. May require domestic and international travel.
- Ability to operate effectively within a small legal department and communicating across broad functional and organizational lines.
- Ability to draft, negotiate, and provide legal advice on large scale purchase contracts, as well as provide legal counsel and guidance relating to project-related issues.
- Ability to multi-task, be decisive and prioritize projects independently.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Creativity in the practice of law and negotiation.
- Qualities of a highly motivated self-starter capable of working in a team environment, yet with the ability to work independently and autonomously with limited supervision.
- Ability to collaborate with internal clients, other in-house counsel, outside counsel, and staff.
- Working knowledge of contract law and issues related to indemnity, warranties, and remedies.
- Attention to detail and ability to complete projects in timely fashion.
- High ethical standards and ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Juris Doctorate degree or equivalent law degree from an accredited institution.
- Currently licensed or otherwise qualified to practice law in Texas.
- At least 5-7 years of in-house legal experience, or equivalent transactional or litigation experience with a law firm.
Preferred Skills and Attributes:
- Ability to effectively manage multi-jurisdictional legal issues and provide guidance on applicable laws impacting oilfield service, construction activities, and renewable resource development in multiple domestic and international jurisdictions.
- Basic knowledge of the oil and gas industry.
- Stress resistant and ability to work through unfamiliar issues with limited supervision.