Description:Ameriprise Financial Services LLC is offering an exciting opportunity for a licensed attorney to become an integral part of the GCO Advice and Wealth Management Practice Group, supporting Retail Investment Advice offerings including financial planning, digital advice and managed accounts, as well as supporting the Global Conflicts program and Form ADV and BD filings. This high visibility legal position will provide advice on cutting edge, innovative products and services that represent the core value proposition of our business.
The attorney in this position will play a key role in providing legal support, benchmarking and thought leadership to businesses developing and maintaining our managed accounts, which include retail discretionary and non-discretionary offerings. These accounts collectively manage approximately $450 billion in invested assets, making Ameriprise Financial the largest independent broker-dealer (IBD) in the managed account space. This attorney will also support and continue to develop our industry leading financial planning business, which is our differentiating value proposition. The attorney in this position will provide advice on key regulatory and policy matters.
This role reports to the VP & Group Counsel for Retail Investment Advice - Legal.
- Provide legal support to various projects and initiatives by spotting issues and providing guidance that applies the federal securities laws impacting all aspects of retail investment advice, including Regulation Best Interest, the Investment Advisers Act and applicable FINRA rules and state securities regulations
- Provide day to day legal support on managed account offerings, including discretionary and non - discretionary accounts
- Support Ameriprise's core value proposition of providing goal-based advice in one of two ways: Comprehensive Advice or Foundational Advice
- Support development of marketing materials including sales collateral, proposal tools, digital engagement experiences and websites
- Identify and prepare updates to client facing disclosures and agreements to support new products/services and to address regulatory changes
- Negotiate master advisory agreements and other vendor agreements
- Support the conflicts of interest program at the global and business segment levels, including documenting and advising on conflicts of interests and associated controls conflicts of interests and associated controls
- Cultivate and promote relationships with key business partners and fostering and promoting a culture of compliance
- Conduct research regarding legal and regulatory requirements as well as benchmarking industry practices
- Collaborate with Compliance personnel on relevant compliance related matters and identifying, developing and implementing control enhancements and risk mitigation strategies; and
- Work with regulators, outside counsel and independent experts from time to time on examinations and other issues.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent
- JD with experience and expertise in the Investment Adviser's Act of 1940, state securities and investment management statutes and regulations (i.e. Regulation Best Interest), and applicable FINRA/self-regulatory organization rules
- 0-1 years relevant experience
- Proficient in legal research computer based tools, such as Westlaw, Lexis and Microsoft Office applications
- Demonstrated accuracy, thoroughness and thoughtfulness in legal analysis
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- 1 to 3 years of experience as a practicing attorney supporting the financial services industry.
- Knowledge of applicable regulatory and industry trends
- Proven ability to analyze a variety of legal issues, synthesize sophisticated information, and provide legal advice to business partners and General Counsel's Office colleagues in a timely fashion
- Excellent interpersonal, problem-solving, communication, presentation and negotiation skills
- Proven track record of collaborating and contributing effectively in a team environment and across teams within and outside of legal; exceptional partnership and relationship building skills.
- Self motivating with the ability to work autonomously and to effectively prioritize multiple tasks at the same time.
- Admitted to practice law in the state of Minnesota, Massachusetts, New York, North Carolina or eligible for admission as house counsel.
- In-house experience with financial services company preferred.
About Our Company:
We're a diversified financial services leader with more than $1 trillion in assets under management and administration. Our team of 20,000 people in more than 20 countries advise, manage and protect the assets and income of more than 2 million individual, small business and institutional clients. We are a long-standing leader in financial planning and advice, a global asset manager and an insurer. Our unwavering focus on our clients and strong financial foundation connects each of our unique businesses - Ameriprise Financial Services, Columbia Threadneedle Investments and RiverSource Insurance and Annuities. Here, we foster meaningful careers, invest in the future, and make a difference for clients, institutions and communities around the world.
Ameriprise Financial is an equal opportunity employer. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, genetic information, age, sexual orientation, citizenship, gender identity, disability, veteran status, marital status, family status or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Family GroupLegal Affairs
Line of BusinessGCO General Counsel's Organization