Freeman Mathis and Gary is a national litigation firm, with twenty-eight offices in fourteen states. We are seeking a motivated and hardworking Associate Attorney in our Walnut Creek, CA office to build our Tort and Catastrophic Loss practice section. The ideal candidate must have at least 2+ years’ of experience with case handling, depositions and motion writing. The individual will maintain positive contact with clients, observe confidentiality of client matters, and must be team-oriented. Writing samples will be required, along with professional references.
- Develop relationships with clients as legal needs are established, provide counsel, help clients understand their legal options, and represent them in court and negotiations.
- Conduct research, prepare legal documents, and perform other duties to develop strategies and favorably resolve cases.
- Explain legal options to clients and bringing possible outcomes or threats to their attention.
- Build relationships with clients based on trust, remain responsive to client needs at all times.
- Develop arguments and represent clients in criminal and civil legal proceedings.
- Prepare legal documents, such as contracts, dispositions, and pleadings, in a timely manner.
- Stay informed about current legislation, especially concerning legal specialties.
- Commitment to abiding by local, state, and federal laws and behaving ethically.
- Ability to work independently or with a team of attorneys to develop the case strategies.
- Ability to negotiate, research, and communicate verbally and in writing effectively.
- Adaptability and attention to detail.
- Maintains strict confidentiality with all matters. Safeguards client's interests.
- Willingness to contribute to Firm culture via committee involvement.
- Juris Doctor degree from an American Bar Association accredited law school.
- In good standing and able to practice law in the state of California.
- Strong critical thinking skills and solid academic background.
- Knowledgeable, attentive, and proactive.
- Excellent communicator, negotiator, public speaker, and problem solver.
- Self-motivated, and goal oriented with a track record of meeting billable hours goals.
- Inclined to take initiative and work independently with minimal supervision.
- Open and willing to follow Firm best practices and procedures.
- Personable, has the ability to maintain client relationships.
- Detail oriented, organized and effective.
- Professional and can get along with people; communicates well with staff.
- Proficient with technology and Microsoft Office applications particularly Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience with iManage and/or OneDrive a plus.