Description:Job Summary: As the Associate Attorney – Family Law Practice, you will provide trauma-informed legal advice and representation to survivors of domestic violence and human trafficking, helping them to understand and pursue available legal options. You will represent clients before the family courts in Westchester County and Integrated Domestic Violence Courts, conduct emergency and non-emergency legal consultations, and assist with outreach and education programs. As part of MSP's Center for Legal Services, you will participate in committees and working groups addressing the rights of survivors.
Location: This opportunity is based in Westchester County, in our Yonkers Office practicing in the family courts of Yonkers, New Rochelle, and White Plains.
- Providing holistic legal representation and advocacy to survivors of domestic violence and human trafficking in family law matters, including orders of protection, child support, paternity, custody, and visitation.
- Conducting all aspects of civil practice, including discovery, motion practice, negotiations, trial preparation and trials.
- Conducting regular intake, assessment, and referrals on legal matters, including but not limited to matrimonial, housing, benefits, and criminal.
- Engaging clients with safety planning and trauma-informed advocacy, including by connecting clients to MSP's holistic range of supportive services.
- Screening new clients for eligibility and providing immediate advice and counsel upon intake.
- Overseeing grants management to ensure that goals, objectives, reporting requirements are met, including by gathering and analyzing service statistics and creating program activity reports.
- Maintaining accurate records in client databases.
- Attending and participating in department staff meetings, agency-wide committees, and ongoing training.
- Performing other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Juris Doctor and admission to NY state bar.
- 2 years post-graduate experience in family court preferred.
- Commitment to serving the public interest with the highest standards of client-centered legal practice.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong project management and organization skills, including the ability to work independently, assess priorities, take initiative, handle multiple assignments, and meet deadlines.
- Experience and enthusiasm for working well with diverse clients, communities, and colleagues, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.