Description:** This position will ideally be a hybrid position in either the Buffalo, NY or the Wilmington, DE office. The position might be located elsewhere IF the final candidate is not located within the Buffalo or Wilmington areas.
The Assistant General Counsel – Wealth Management will support Wilmington Trust's Wealth Management division (“Wealth”), in its role as fiduciary of personal trusts, investment agent, or custodian for personal wealth clients and provider of family office and private banking services. This position is responsible for representing the organization in legal matters for the assigned business unit and may include reviewing new accounts, interpreting fiduciary instruments and agreements, conducting legal research, interpreting laws and regulations with respect to the business of the Wealth division, analyzing trust lending transactions and responding to inquiries from the business and its compliance and risk partners, draft and negotiate various Wealth agreements, such as product and service, engagement, non-disclosure, referral, release and other agreements. Incumbent will collaborate with outside legal counsel on legal matters. Counsel leads efforts to mitigate complex legal risks facing M&T and develops and executes corporate policy and positions on legal issues.
- Provide strategic legal advice and opinion to the organization and answer day-to-day questions from business personnel.
- Provide guidance and support for existing products, new product design, geographic expansion, etc., taking into account all applicable laws, rules and regulations.
- May represent the organization in litigation matters for assigned businesses or bank functions.
- Draft, review and advise on business and legal documents including regulatory disclosures, marketing material and licensing statutes.
- Lead in the development and interpretation of departmental policies. Research and review existing law and make recommendations regarding new procedures and policies.
- Understand and adhere to the Company's risk and regulatory standards, policies and controls in accordance with the Company's Risk Appetite. Identify risk-related issues needing escalation to management.
Scope of Responsibilities:
This position is responsible for providing strategic analysis and counsel on complex legal issues for assigned business units. Incumbent should be able to anticipate and guard against legal risks facing M&T, develop and recommend corporate policy and positions on legal issues and conduct and coordinate research into a variety of legal issues. This position requires interaction with mid to senior level management.
Supervisory/ Managerial Responsibilities:
Provide guidance to junior staff members; may supervise Paralegals and administrative staff.
Education and Experience Required:
- J.D. from an accredited law school.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience as an attorney or other relevant legal experience.
- New York State or applicable state bar admission.
- Ability to identify legal issues, evaluate legal risks, and offer solutions.
- Strong negotiation, interpersonal, organizational skills.
- Excellent writing, analytical and verbal skills.
- Strong analytical and decision-making skills.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- 5+ years of experience as an attorney or other relevant legal experience.
- Specialized knowledge and experience in trust and fiduciary, wealth management and ERISA. Lending or private banking experience a plus.
- Excellent communication, multitasking and interpersonal skills.