About the role
The preferred location for this position is in or around Robinhood's offices in Menlo Park, CA, Washington, DC or New York, NY with in-office work capabilities, as may be required by management.
Robinhood is looking for an Assistant General Counsel to join our growing Regulatory legal team. We are looking for an attorney with experience in retail broker-dealer regulation who is excited to work at the intersection of regulation, technology, and finance. We are looking for a highly adaptable and collaborative person who can handle ambiguity and rapidly shifting priorities with flexibility and patience. This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing company and contribute to our mission to democratize finance for all.
Your day-to-day will involve:
- Navigating complex regulatory frameworks to help the business design innovative financial products and services
- Identifying and drafting necessary changes to the firm's systems and procedures to meet the requirements of new rules/regulations
- Engaging with regulators, including the SEC and FINRA, and other external parties
- Drafting agreements, policies and procedures, disclosures, account documentation and website materials
- Reviewing marketing materials, advertisements, and other communications with the public
- Resolve customer account issues related to estates, bankruptcies, powers of attorney, and related matters.
- Monitoring SEC/FINRA and SRO rule developments and making resulting recommendations
- Researching securities and brokerage questions and providing legal analysis and recommendations
- Partnering cross-functionally with teams including litigation, compliance, product and government affairs
- J.D. degree (or foreign equivalent) and membership in at least 1 U.S. state bar
- 5+ years of legal practice experience specializing in advising retail broker-dealers
- Knowledge or expertise in the rules and regulations relevant to broker-dealers, including for example: sales practice rules, Reg BI, Form CRS, licensing and registration, communications with the public, and books and records
- Track record of developing practical solutions to novel problems
- Exceptional project management and communication skills
- In-house legal experience
- Experience at a federal or state financial regulatory agency
- Experience with technology or start-up organizations
- Ability to provide practical, strategic and business-oriented legal advice
- Ability to effectively manage multiple time sensitive tasks
- Experience drafting comment letters, working with industry trade groups, and engaging in rulemaking and legislative advocacy efforts
Base pay for the successful applicant will depend on a variety of job-related factors, which may include education, training, experience, location, business needs, or market demands. You can view comp zones for our US office locations in the table below. For other locations not listed, compensation can be discussed with your recruiter during the interview process.
Office locations (by comp zone)
- US Zone 1: Menlo Park, NYC, Seattle, Washington DC
- US Zone 2: Denver, Westlake (Dallas), Chicago
- US Zone 3: Lake Mary