The Assistant General Counsel, reporting directly to Munson Healthcare's Chief Legal Officer, is responsible for providing sound, practical legal advice and direction on a broad array of legal issues; managing complex transactions; recommending compliant and effective strategies and solutions; and working closely with executive leadership, management, outside legal counsel and other experts.
- Graduate of an accredited law school.
- Admitted to Michigan Bar.
- Minimum 5+ years experience, preferably in health care.
- Special skills and knowledge to include:
- Fraud and Abuse Laws, HIPAA, EMTALA, health care reimbursement
- Laws and regulations specific to tax-exempt organizations
- Business, Commercial, and Real Estate Transactions
- Contract drafting, review and negotiation
- Physician Compensation and Employment
- Medical Staff bylaws and credentialing issues
- Patient Care and Risk Management issues
- Accountable Care Organization/Clinically Integrated Networks
- Excellent judgment and the ability to analyze problems, propose solutions, and provide strategic advice taking into account the organization’s defined goals.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills, including proficient technology skills (Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, manage varied caseload, and work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with a philosophy of creating a high-trust culture
Preference will be given to applicants who have experience in healthcare or hospital law or equivalent legal experience in areas with direct applicability to Munson Healthcare.
Performs general legal services for Munson Healthcare, its subsidiaries and affiliates as assigned by the Chief Legal Officer. Is responsible for one or more areas of legal specialization as assigned by the Chief Legal Officer, such as transactions, physician contracts, medical staff matters, patient care, healthcare regulations, compliance, and corporate governance. Assists the Chief Legal Officer in conducting legal research and providing legal advice to the relevant decision-makers in the organization.
- Supports the Mission, Vision and Values of Munson Healthcare.
- Embraces and supports the Performance Improvement philosophy of Munson Healthcare with a focus on True North.
- Promotes personal and patient safety.
- Uses effective customer service/interpersonal skills at all times.
- Prepares and renders legal analysis, advice, research and opinions as directed by the Chief Legal Officer.
- Assists in drafting legal documents, policies, resolutions. Understands and communicates legal issues affecting the operations of Munson including applicable law and regulatory matters, and acts to ensure that Munson operates within those legal restraints.
- Identifies and directly oversees legal work affecting Munson as a whole or the interrelationships among its component organizations as directed by Chief Legal Officer.
- Assists in the development of standards for the provision of legal services to improve quality and reduce costs, including the development of form contracts, guidelines, legal documents, policies and governing documents.
- Develops and maintains an understanding of the legal structures, operating structures and finance structures of Munson.
- Acts as counsel to Munson and its Boards on governance issues and all major corporate activities as directed by Chief Legal Officer.
- Provides education on legal matters to governance, management and other groups as directed by Chief Legal Officer.
- Serves as a member of the management team, providing appropriate comment on issues other than legal matters.
- Assists in ensuring that Munson receives value for its expenditures for legal services by monitoring the work performed by retained counsel for quality, efficiency, performance and results.
- Negotiates arrangements for the provision of legal services by retained counsel, including description of the scope of work and fee arrangements as directed by Chief Legal Officer.
- Works with the other members of the Legal Department to develop skills and breadth of knowledge regarding its affairs.
- Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State and local laws and regulations, the Munson Compliance Program, Code of Ethics, Conflicts of Interest, as well as other policies and procedures.
- Represents Munson and its values in the several communities it serves and in the greater healthcare community by demonstrated personal and professional behavior at an exemplary level.
- Performs all functions and activities with the highest level of professionalism, confidentiality and tact.
- Performs responsibilities efficiently under pressure and diligently attempts to comply with short deadlines, as required.
- Keeps abreast of legislation affecting Munson.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.