In-house counsel supporting Citi's consumer default operations, servicing its credit card, retail bank, and mortgage products. Position will focus on support of both Collections and Recovery area with an emphasis on supporting the attorney supervision team which oversees Citi's collections law firms and other third-party vendors.
Job duties include:
- Counsel executive and mid-management level business clients on the legal, business, and operational issues associated with the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, state debt collection laws, United States Bankruptcy Code and local rules, probate laws, Truth-in-Lending, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Gramm-Leach Bliley, Telephone Consumer Protection Act, Equal Credit Opportunity Act and other applicable federal and state laws governing the servicing and collection of consumer debts.
- Provide day-to-day legal support in the development of policies and procedures, customer-facing documents, outbound/inbound telephone scripting, vendor contracts and training materials.
- Provide legal support for escalated issues which may include threatened litigation and executive or regulatory complaints.
- Provide the Collection/Default Management groups with prompt and well-reasoned legal support that positions the business in a competitive and legally sound environment.
- Conduct audits of third parties, such as collections law firms, as part of Citi's third-party oversight program. Work closely with managing counsel and lead attorney to address any audit issues
- Oversee and coordinate Citi’s Collection Review Committee process. Moderate monthly Committee meetings and provide the Committee with analysis of legal issues impacting Citi’s third-party debt collection vendors including presentation and discussion of audit results and trends.
- Provide legal analysis of new or amended laws related to default servicing, and support business implementation of changes necessary to comply with law changes. Provide analysis and comment on proposed legislation and keep business partners informed of potential changes and impact.
- Law Degree, member in good standing of any state bar.
- 5 years of default servicing experience, preferably in the banking or financial services industry.
- Strong understanding of legislation, regulations, and regulatory guidelines for the default servicing Industry including FDCPA, TCPA, state debt collection laws, Regulation Z, NACHA, and Regulation E.
- Experience supporting both pre and post-charged off accounts and unsecured products (e.g. credit cards or personal loans) is preferred.
- The candidate must have strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and flexibility as well as the ability to work effectively with global cross-functional teams in a fast-paced environment.
- The candidate must be proficient in Microsoft Applications to include Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Excellent communication skills.