The Assistant Dean and Special Projects is a key strategic position within the Dean's Office, reporting directly to the Dean. Working collaboratively with senior management and faculty, the Associate Dean and Special Projects supports the Dean in carrying out Law School projects and initiatives, manages the Dean's office, and takes on special projects for the Dean.
As a member of Senior Leadership Team, the employee will serve as a trusted advisor to the Dean, providing proactive, comprehensive support and forecasting to the strategic administrative and operational priorities, including partnering closely with administrative partners and leaders of the Law School.
- Oversight of all administrative activities including IT, maintenance, human resources, recruiting, internal communications, and staff management, including the facilitation of effective project management across teams.
- Directs Dean's office staff to ensure smooth functioning of Office, including helping to determine and prioritize which matters need Dean's attention. Oversees faculty and staff affairs/activities, and works with the Dean to resolve complex issues in this area.
- Serves as key advisor to the Dean and participates in key meetings with faculty, administrators, staff, and others. Works closely with the Dean and other senior law school leaders on projects and issues of significant impact to the school.
- Serves as an advisor to the Dean on a variety of organizational, operational, and strategic issues. Partners with the Dean to execute projects and initiatives that support the priorities and mission of both Barry University and the Law School.
- Provides operational leadership for the internal strategic planning processes and internal priorities for growing the Law School under the direction of the Dean. In close consultation with the Dean, provides strategic support. This role will lead the training, education, and growth opportunities including actively mapping plans for engaging the team on professional development goals.
- Serves as a thought partner and strategic advisor to the Dean and develops and implements the organizational systems that support the goals necessary to enable the Dean to lead comprehensive strategy and work of all constituents (faculty, staff, students, researchers, etc.).
- Collaborating with administrative and faculty leaders, helps identify and resolve issues of substantial significance that affect the overall functioning of the school. Collaborating with administrative, staff and faculty leaders, helps move forward institutional priorities.
- Assists the Dean in writing, including speeches, correspondence, presentations, nominations for awards, and reports. Manages agendas and action items; ensures effective communication across the team; identifies and helps resolve team issues or concerns; plans meetings and retreats that drive the effectiveness of the team in partnership with the Dean.
- Works closely with the Dean and Human Resources in recruiting faculty and senior administrators.
- Conducts research on legal education, legal practice, and related issues at the direction of the Dean. Serve as an expert resource on current legal education and legal practice issues and trends.
- Works with other senior leaders at the School, communicates with the
- ABA and other regulators on matters affecting the law school.
Education & Experiential Requirements & Key Skills :
- JD Required
- 1-3 years of experience
- Exceptional analytical capacity, and written and verbal communication skills.
- Prior staff supervisory experience is required.
- Proven ability to work with all members of the Law School community including faculty, staff, students, university colleagues, and alumni.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate, design, plan, and execute multiple complex projects simultaneously with attention to detail and high level of excellence.
- Tact, discretion, and experience handling highly confidential information.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently under pressure while maintaining a high level of professionalism.
- Strong technical skills, including full proficiency with standard business software and computer systems (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and the Internet. Statistical skills a plus.
- Experience strategically assessing priorities, managing change, and effectively juggling multiple complex activities in a time-sensitive environment
- Proven track record of managing institutional change, leading staff, and developing partnerships with key stakeholders within and outside the organization
- Experience developing and executing strategies to achieve short and long-term goals
- Proven experience in general management, strategic planning, administration, and organizational development
- Experience developing trusting long-term relationships with constituents and creating and maintaining a team culture
- Exceptional written, organizational, and communication skills, and the ability to adapt to a dynamic and fast past environment
Benefits: Barry University offers a comprehensive benefits package to full-time employees that includes health, dental, vision, life insurance, retirement, tuition assistance, paid time off and work/life balance initiatives such as wellness programs, spirituality in the workplace, and training and development.
Barry University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.