The Assistant Attorney General will work in the Office of the Attorney General under the direct supervision of the Attorney General for the Viejas Band. The Assistant Attorney General will work with the Attorney General and Deputy Attorneys General to render legal services to the Viejas Band, including its government departments, enterprises, and elected officials. Competitive salary depending on experience and comprehensive benefits.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Self-starter capable of working both independently and in a team environment on matters involving the Viejas Band and its government departments and enterprises.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to advocate and persuade.
- Accurate and thorough legal research skills.
- Able to analyze and apply legal principles, facts, evidence and precedents to legal
- Able to provide accurate, useful, and understandable legal advice on a wide range of issues.
- Solid organizational skills.
- Able to effectively manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Proficient general computer and software skills, including Microsoft Windows, Office, and Westlaw.
- Strong interpersonal skills and able to develop and maintain supportive and effective working relationships with tribal government department and enterprise team members.
- Steadfast observance of the highest legal ethical standards, particularly those that relate to the representation of governments.
- Ready to work flexible hours (if needed) including evenings and weekends to meet project deadlines.
- Willing to travel for meetings.
- Able to successfully complete and pass a pre-employment background investigation and drug screening.
Qualifications, Education & Experience:
- Juris Doctor Degree from an ABA accredited law
- Licensed to practice law in the state of
- Minimum of 5 years' experience representing one or more tribal governments, with knowledge and experience in federal Indian law, tort law, contracts, employment law, gaming law/regulation, contracts and litigation.
- Experienced advocating in trial, arbitration or equivalent legal proceedings.
- Experienced drafting laws, resolutions, regulations and policies/procedures.