Closing Date: 12th June, 2023
Description:Assistant Attorney General – Consumer Protection Section?
Who May Apply: Open to all qualified applicants
Date Posted: ?5/26/2023?
Closing Date: ?6/12/2023?
S1 Salary Level: $32.33 - $50.22 / hourly; $67,505 - $104,859 / annually
S2 Salary Level: $39.80 - $58.82 / hourly; $83,102 - $122,816 / annually
S3 Salary Level: $44.77 - $72.37 / hourly; $93,479 - $151,108 / annually
Telework Eligible: Yes
The Office of Attorney General Keith Ellison — one of Minnesota's largest public law offices and recognized as a 2021/2022 Star Tribune Top Workplace Minnesota and 2022/2023 Top Workplace USA — has a clear mission: we help Minnesotans afford their lives and live with dignity, safety, and respect. We are a dynamic group of dedicated professionals who choose public service as a calling, and we are actively and intentionally committed to supporting an internal culture that supports that calling.
The Office is currently seeking nine ?Assistant Attorneys General? (AAG) for the ?Consumer Protection Section? of the Office. This section investigates companies and individuals who are violating Minnesota's civil consumer-protection laws. The sections' enforcement work includes litigating in Minnesota State courts and the U.S. District of Minnesota.
Specific openings are detailed below:
- 2 AAG for the Antitrust Unit
- 3 AAG for the Charities Division
- 2 AAG for the Special Outreach and Protection Unit
- 2 AAG for the Wage Theft Unit
A successful candidate in this position will be able to:
- Manage several investigations and lawsuits simultaneously;
- Develop expertise in the field of consumer-protection and civil rights;
- Engage in high level and challenging civil investigations and impact litigation;
- Use discovery tools to obtain and then analyze evidence to ascertain compliance with Minnesota's consumer-protection and civil rights laws; and
- Work with witnesses and victims from diverse communities.
This position is eligible for a hybrid work environment.
- Graduation from a law school accredited by the ABA
- Licensed to practice in the State of Minnesota or ability to obtain licensure within 90 days of hire
- Demonstrated outstanding skill in:
- Research and writing (submission of a writing sample is required)
- Critical thinking
- Ability to
- Perform responsibilities with a high level of professionalism
- Demonstrate excellent judgement, character, and work ethic
- Interact respectfully and successfully with members of the public, victims, and government regulators
- Contribute positively to a team and work in a diverse, inclusive, creative, and collaborative work environment??
Important! Applicants must include a writing sample with a cover letter to be considered for this position.
To be considered at the ?S2? level, candidates must have ?6? years of related experience. To be considered at the ?S3? level, candidates must have ?12? years of related experience.
- Three or more years civil litigation experience
- Knowledge of Minnesota's civil and consumer rights
- Clerkship in the Minnesota courts and/or the U.S. District of Minnesota court
- Experience working in public service
- Experience in some or all of the following areas:
- supervision of lawyers or legal assistants
- bankruptcy law
- working in public service
- volunteer legal services