Closing Date: 31st January, 2023
Description:At K&L Gates, we are looking for smart, imaginative and hard-working people with diverse backgrounds, experiences and ideas to join us. Perhaps our search for talented visionaries and your search for important and impactful work lead to the same place.
K&L Gates is looking forward to hosting our 2023 1L Diversity Power of Partnership Program in Pittsburgh.
K&L Gates created the Power of Partnership Program in 2018 to offer outstanding learning experiences for law students while also increasing engagement with our clients. This program offers 1L students who self-identify as diverse the unique opportunity to work for part of the summer in a K&L Gates office as a summer associate and part of the summer in-house with the legal team of a corporate client of the firm. For summer 2023, the Pittsburgh office will be partnering with our client, Westinghouse Electric Corporation LLC.
In addition to a paid 1L summer associate position, our Power of Partnership Program participant will be eligible to receive an academic bonus of up to $25,000.
The Academic Bonus Will Be Paid in Three Installments:
- A $5,000 payment upon the successful completion of the full K&L Gates 2023 Summer Program
- A $10,000 payment if you spend a minimum of eight weeks with the firm during the 2024 Summer Program, do not spend time working for another law firm during the summer, and receive and accept an offer of full-time employment with K&L Gates
- A $10,000 payment upon joining the firm as a full-time first year associate; this payment will be included in your first paycheck
When considering candidates, we will look at the following criteria:
- A demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion within your local community and more broadly
- A strong interest in the office's practice areas, including Corporate, Intellectual Property, and Litigation
- Superior academic credentials and excellent written and oral communication skills
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team, and a commitment to the highest quality of client service
We will begin to review applications on a rolling basis after December 1, 2022, and the application period will close on January 31, 2023.
Please submit only one application to our Power of Partnership Program; if you are interested in more than one location, please apply to your top choice office and indicate your other interests from the drop down menu on the application.
Please Submit the Following Materials:
- A personal statement (500 word maximum) detailing why the Power of Partnership Program is of interest to you, and how you have demonstrated a commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion in your school, workplace, and/or community; this statement can serve as your cover letter
- Undergraduate transcript (unofficial transcripts will be accepted)
- Graduate program transcripts (if applicable)
- A law school transcript (after receipt of grades; please email a copy to Emily Falconer, Senior Legal Recruiting Manager, at Emily.Falconer@klgates.com as soon as it becomes available)
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis after December 1, 2022; please do not wait until you have received your first term grades to submit your materials
While not required, if you have a personal connection to the office's city or region, and if you would like to describe why you are interested in your additional office preferences, please include this information in your personal statement as well
Weekly Rate $3,846.15
About the Firm:
K&L Gates is a fully integrated global law firm with lawyers located across five continents in more than 40 offices. We have experienced dramatic growth in the past decade and now rank among the largest U.S. based law firms in the world. We take pride in constantly striving for innovation, imagination and an entrepreneurial spirit. We come up with big ideas and then roll up our sleeves to get the job done, guiding our clients through their most complex issues in a variety of industry sectors and across multiple regions of the world.
The industry recognition the firm has garnered emanates from the foundation of a global community aligned on behalf of our clients. The people at K&L Gates are committed to working together to create a legacy for each other, the firm, our clients, and the communities in which we serve. We thrive in an inclusive and socially conscious environment that embraces diversity and takes a holistic approach to the career evolution of all our professionals.
For more information or to view other job opportunities, please click here to go back to our careers page.
Notice: We participate in E-Verify in certain Firm locations for purposes of verifying employment eligibility.
We offer a dynamic work environment and excellent benefits.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The Firm is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the Firm that employment decisions shall be based on merit, qualifications and competence. Employment practices shall not be influenced or affected by virtue of a person's race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, military status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. This policy governs all aspects of employment including, without limitation, recruiting, hiring, compensation, benefits, promotion, assignment and dismissal. In addition, it is the Firm's policy to provide an environment that is free of unlawful harassment of any kind including, without limitation, that which is sexual, racial, age-related, disability-related or ethnic background-related.