The Senior Legal Counsel, US Commercial will report to the Director, US Commercial Counsel, and will provide support in areas such as:
- Advise internal clients on commercial pricing, contracting and market access strategies (including value-based programs and other innovative strategies), policy development, and interactions with Dexcom’s customers, including health plans, pharmaceutical benefit managers (PBMs), pharmacies, healthcare providers and group purchasing organizations (GPOs). Advise on and support negotiation of trade and distribution strategies, including with wholesalers and other intermediaries.
- Support end-to-end commercial contracting for Dexcom’s customer relationships with PBMs, GPOs, wholesalers, and others.
- Work closely with pricing strategy, US customer contracting, account management, marketing, finance, and other functions.
- Create, improve, and implement applicable forms, processes, and procedures.
- Work with client groups to identify, assess and address general legal concerns.
- Draft, review and implement company policies, standards and guidelines.
- Perform related duties, as requested.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advise on fraud and abuse (including the federal Anti-Kickback Statute and associated safe harbors, OIG guidance and state laws) and other healthcare laws, rules and regulations, industry standards and company policies.
- Engage in key policy and regulatory issues impacting Dexcom’s customer relationships and business strategies through involvement with trade associations, participation on cross-functional teams assessing and planning for new policy or regulatory developments, advising on policy positions and helping Dexcom proactively shape the external environment to improve access to its products and services.
- Primarily responsible for drafting, reviewing, negotiating, and providing oversight with respect to a variety of agreements with distributors, wholesalers, retail pharmacies and other commercial and government payers to support Dexcom’s sales, marketing, and commercial operations.
- Supports legal department operations and improvements to existing contracting processes and legal templates.
- Establish a collaborative and proactive partnership with key stakeholders and department members.
- At least 6+ years of in-house, law firm and/or government (OIG, CMS or FDA) experience.
- Significant experience in commercial contract drafting.
- Ability to comprehend and negotiate complex business arrangements and agreements.
- Experience in report, policy and procedure development preferred.
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills required.
- Must be self-directed, motivated, collaborative, and serve as a role model for other team members and staff throughout the organization.
- Ability to prepare clear, concise, thorough, meaningful, and grammatically correct written reports, letters, memoranda, and other documents.
Manages legal business matters pertaining to the organization. Provides a variety of general corporate and commercial legal services to a number of in-house clients. Acts as advisor on legal issues involving the organization's government and regulatory compliance. Reviews legal data and advises organization on appropriate legal action to be taken. Performs litigation on the company's behalf or coordinates litigation and other legal matters handled by outside counsel. Demonstrates experience in general corporate matters, including corporate organization, securities compliance, drafting transactional documents, license agreements, employment law, immigration law, data privacy, risk management asset–backed financing, and contract management. Experience in trade secrets, advertising law, registration and other resolutions specific to the computer and technology industry as well as SEC reporting. Requires a law degree.
- A seasoned, experienced professional with a full understanding of area of specialization; resolves a wide range of issues in creative ways.
- Demonstrates further technical development and a track record of project success.
- Demonstrates an ability to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously.
- Considered a specialist in the field within the function.
- Assists in determining objectives of assignment. Plan schedules and arranges own activities in accomplishing objectives.
- Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors.
- Networks with senior internal and external colleagues in own area of expertise.
- Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Normally receives little instruction on day-to-day work, general instructions on new assignments.
Experience and Education:
Typically requires a Bachelors degree and a minimum of 5-8 years of related experience.
Workplace TypeThe Workplace Type for this role is Flex. Based on the nature of your position you will be working onsite approximately 2-3 days per week from collaborative space and hoteling desks at our Dexcom sites. You will need to be located within commuting distance (typically 75 miles/120km) of your assigned Dexcom site.