The Company is seeking to hire an employment attorney who is experienced in advising on the full spectrum of employment and labor law issues to join its legal team as Senior Counsel. The position will report to the SVP, Labor & Employment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Advise executives, managers and human resources on a full range of employment and labor law issues, including hiring, leave and accommodation, discipline, terminations, compliance, employment contracts and
- Negotiate terms and draft complex executive, manager and commissioned employee employment and retention agreements as well as separation agreements. Review process around same and make and implement recommendations for improvements.
- Advise on and support business transactions that involve employment contracts, executive compensation as well as labor and employment issues.
- Advise on all aspects of employment agreements and offer letters, including restrictive covenants and protection of trade secrets and proprietary information.
- Review and provide guidance on drafting and implementation of employment and HR-related policies and procedures.
- Support internal compliance investigations.
- Support employment-related litigation, administrative claims and labor grievances. Negotiate resolution of pre-litigation employment-related claims.
- Monitor new legislation and regulatory changes impacting employment and labor laws and employee compensation.
- Advise and counsel on CBRE’s affirmative action programs and on OFCCP compliance including supporting any audits.
- Prepare and conduct training for human resources and managers on issues relating to compensation, benefits, restrictive covenants, harassment/EEO and other employment issues.
- Perform other job-related duties as may be assigned.
No formal supervisory responsibilities in this position. Coordinates and may assign tasks to co-workers within a work unit and/or project team. May lead project teams and/or plan, and supervise assignments of lower level employees. May have responsibility for identifying training needs, tracking performance, coaching, and motivating a work unit and/or group.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Excellent analytical, negotiation, communication, problem-solving and drafting skills. Confidence to escalate issues appropriately to supervisors and business decision makers preferred.
- Ability to isolate complex legal issues and provide prompt, concise and commercially focused legal advice, while balancing risks and benefits to the Company preferred.
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple tasks and set priorities with excellent follow-up skills and organization preferred.
- Experience with executive compensation and drafting and negotiating complex employment contracts preferred (experience with executive agreements in the context of mergers and acquisitions and senior executive recruiting preferred).
Education and Experience
Juris Doctorate with a minimum of 8 years of in-house or private practice relevant experience. Previous practice in California preferred.
Certificates And/or Licenses
Member of State Bar in good standing.
- Ability to comprehend, analyze, and interpret complex business documents.
- Ability to respond effectively to sensitive issues. Ability to write reports, manuals, speeches and articles using distinctive style.
- Ability to make effective and persuasive presentations on complex topics to employees, clients and/or public groups.
- Ability to motivate and negotiate effectively with key employees and client groups to take desired action.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a cooperative effort with human resources, managers, executives and the legal team.
- Ability to explain, negotiate and draft complex compensation formulas.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple tasks and set priorities with excellent follow-up skills and organization.
- Some litigation background helpful, as well as experience in supervising outside counsel and monitoring litigation.
- Willingness to work on tight timeframes at a fast pace.
Scope of Responsibility
Decisions made with thorough understanding of procedures, company policies, and business practices to achieve general results and deadlines.