Anika Therapeutics is seeking a Legal Counsel to support its rapidly growing business. Anika develops, produces, markets and sells minimally invasive products that restore active living for people around the world, with a primary focus on osteoarthritis pain management, regenerative solutions, soft tissue repair and bone preserving joint technologies. The Legal Counsel will be a key corporate contributor responsible for providing high-quality and practical legal assistance and services to the organization under the supervision of the VP Corporate Legal Counsel. The Legal Counsel will work directly with various internal departments (including certain executive team members) and external resources to complete time-sensitive and confidential work to help move the business initiatives of the company forward. To be successful, the individual in this role will need to closely collaborate with various internal business partners to ensure an in-depth understanding of their needs and to foster a trusted partnership around legal matters.
To be successful, the individual in this role will need to closely collaborate with various internal business partners to ensure an in-depth understanding of their needs and to foster a trusted partnership around legal matters. The Legal Counsel must have a well-developed business acumen and the ability to combine her/his business judgement and legal experience to help find innovative solutions to problems, while strengthening strategic partnerships.
Strategic Focus Areas:
- Manage day-to-day contracting and commercial needs of the company through proactive engagement with key stakeholders and strong understanding of business needs.
- Work with other members of the Legal team and other internal support functions to develop and maintain an optimized and efficient legal department and legal support process that meets current and future business needs.
- Design, implement, and participate in projects and activities to support the growth of the company.
- Create a positive image of Anika through communication and interaction with key stakeholders including employees, customers, partners, vendors, and appropriate government and regulatory authorities.
Specific Tactical Responsibilities:
- Draft, edit, and negotiate various agreements including commercial sales, marketing and distribution contracts, confidentiality agreements, consulting agreements, and other business transactions as required; maintain up-to-date templates of standard agreements to reflect current best practices.
- Provide legal advice and support the company’s Marketing function with respect to appropriate marketing practices and review marketing literature for use by the company’s salesforce.
- Provide legal advice and support, in line with company culture, to the Human Resources department related to employment law and other HR matters. Organize and lead trainings (in conjunction with other Legal department resources) related to employment law and HR topics.
- Assist in the drafting, review and filing of various SEC filings, including the company’s periodic reporting on forms 10-K and 10-Q, proxy statements, section 16 filings, 8-Ks, and other public company filings as applicable.
- Support the management of the company’s Healthcare Fraud and Abuse compliance program domestically and internationally.
- Assist with the maintenance of strong corporate governance policies and practices including with respect to management of subsidiary entities and trainings on various corporate governance matters.
- Provide support with respect to addressing disputes and litigation matters.
- Perform legal research and prepare memoranda with respect to various topics as requested by other members Legal department or members of the company’s senior management.
- Participate in and/or lead project-specific work, including assisting with implementation and management of a contracts management database or other automation/efficiency improvement projects within the Legal department.
- Provide other support and services as required from time-to-as required.
The Legal Counsel will work on assignments that are complex in nature, applying legal knowledge and sound business judgment where considerable initiative is required in resolving problems, making recommendations, and preparing deliverables. The Legal Counsel will work to optimize resource deployment and increase organizational efficiency, while promoting internal collaboration and deliberate action. The Legal Counsel will need to understand the Anika’s larger business initiatives and provide recommendations and deliverables that align with the company’s strategies and goals.
- Bachelor’s Degree and J.D. from an accredited law school required. Bar admission required; Massachusetts Bar preferred.
- 2-4 years of experience in a publicly-traded company or a law firm is required, experience in both in-house and law firm roles preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills required.
- Strong judgment and ability to assess risk and benefits and convey them in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to maintain confidential/legal information.
Desired Experience, Knowledge, and Skills:
- Medical Device/Life Science experience preferred.
- Ability to work autonomously, effectively manage time, and deliver results on time.
- Desire and natural inclination to work collaboratively as a member of a team and willingness to get involved and learn new skills.
- Ability to be assertive and persuasive with internal and external parties.
- Agility and flexibility to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.